S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Airmatic problem - Rear End

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'00 S500 and 2007 S550
Airmatic problem - Rear End

Let me start by saying that I read through the encyclopedia BEFORE posting this question. I have 2000 S500 that recently (as in this evening) gave me the dreaded "AIRMATIC. STOP. Car too low" error message on the dash. Just a few minutes prior to receiving the message, I noticed that the car seemed to be leaning towards the right and the ride was unusually bouncy. I pulled over only to find that the rear end was sitting almost completely on the tires. To make a long story short, I ended up driving home during which time the error message went away and then came back again. Most of the info I've read deals with the front suspension going bad. I plan on replacing the relay first, as this seems to be the cheapest starting point. Can anyone offer me any advice/suggestions before sending her off to my MBZ mechanic? Lastly, I know this sounds crazy before I even ask it, but, how much would it harm the car to drive it to my mechanic as opposed to getting it towed?

Thanks,

McNeil
Old 11-01-2011, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
You can drive the car to.your mechanic but you have to be really careful with pot holes because this can
Dent your fender really bad then you will have to end up spending money to fix that.