'03 S600 - what should I hear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 S600 (w/ fake AMG badge, I think)
'03 S600 - what should I hear?

Car runs and drives very well but I have a couple of concerns:

There is a sort of groan/whine mostly when on throttle (and sometimes not on throttle). Seems to come from the left front. It doesn't sound like typical turbo whine. I've never been in another of these so I don't know what's normal.

Now and then I notice a bit of trans slip at part throttle. I never feel this when hammering the car so I'm wondering if it may be computer-related. Anyone share this experience?

Lots of shudder/wheel hop when launching hard, even when ESP is disabled. Consequently I don't do this but I'd like the option. Thoughts?
Old 11-07-2011, 04:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Tranny slipping could mean the tranny is going? Mine was replaced, so it is not out of the question. If it slips then there are codes thrown. I recomend getting the car scanned and see what codes may be there.

The last problem could be a tranny mount? Mine was replaced too and the car is very smooth now.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check for a wheel bearing up front, trans and engine mounts for shudder, and trans connector/harness/conductor plate/TCU for signs of oil leakage and damage to those components.

Bruce
Old 11-07-2011, 06:43 PM

I did read up on the connector/harness etc. leak. I've never seen anything on the garage floor but maybe there's not enough of a leak to create a drip.

A bearing... hmmm. It wouldn't have occurred to me to check that but it sure sounds like a possiblity.

As for the trans slip, if it's really doing that I'll need a rebuild, correct? I'm not versed on this so for all I know there may be another option.

Thanks a bunch for the ideas - I really appreciate the help!
Old 11-09-2011, 12:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes S600, 2004 Mercedes E500 4-Matic, 2002 Mercedes C32 AMG, 2001 Trans-Am WS-6
I've got a 2005 S600 and am experiencing a similar whine. My indy mechanic is telling me is the belt tensioner pulley bearing is going bad (rpm sensitive...sounds like a jet engine). Could also be the secondary injector pump, but that's on the passenger side and sounds more like a circular saw at startup and then goes away after a minute or so. Just a thought. Can't comment really on the transmission slippage...I've not experienced that.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by marktan
I've got a 2005 S600 and am experiencing a similar whine. My indy mechanic is telling me is the belt tensioner pulley bearing is going bad (rpm sensitive...sounds like a jet engine). Could also be the secondary injector pump, but that's on the passenger side and sounds more like a circular saw at startup and then goes away after a minute or so. Just a thought. Can't comment really on the transmission slippage...I've not experienced that.
This sounds like what I'm experiencing.

Did your mechanic mention either cost/complexity to fix or whether it's even something to worry about?
Old 11-10-2011, 03:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes S600, 2004 Mercedes E500 4-Matic, 2002 Mercedes C32 AMG, 2001 Trans-Am WS-6
If you're referring to the belt tensioner, I'm actually looking into that right now. My mechanic indicated it may be an entire "tensioner assembly" that could be dealer only (I didn't bother to have him price it).
I did look on line and am having problems finding anything that fits the newer (2003-2005) S600 V12TT engine. Tons of stuff for the older V12 are out there.

I did find this:
(http://www.koperformance.com/part-nu...00-02-70/O-E-M)
but I want to double check to make sure it is proper fitment for my 2005 engine before ordering and having my guy install it.

On a side note, I did have my mechanic replace all three (two smooth and one grooved) idler pulleys along with a new belt (I purcahsed them all on Amazon for ~$25/each and had him install them for me). I figured that it would need to be done eventually anyway, and it was relatively inexpensive that it was worth a shot before investing in a more expensive part. It didn't do anything for the whining noise, but it seems to run smoother (one of the smooth pulleys had crap build-up on it).
Old 11-10-2011, 03:50 PM

If you're referring to the belt tensioner, I'm actually looking into that right now. My mechanic indicated it may be an entire "tensioner assembly" that could be dealer only (I didn't bother to have him price it).
I did look on line and am having problems finding anything that fits the newer (2003-2005) S600 V12TT engine. Tons of stuff for the older V12 are out there.

I did find this:
but I want to double check to make sure it is proper fitment for my 2005 engine before ordering and having my guy install it.

On a side note, I did have my mechanic replace all three (two smooth and one grooved) idler pulleys along with a new belt (I purcahsed them all on Amazon for ~$25/each and had him install them for me). I figured that it would need to be done eventually anyway, and it was relatively inexpensive that it was worth a shot before investing in a more expensive part. It didn't do anything for the whining noise, but it seems to run smoother (one of the smooth pulleys had crap build-up on it).
I, too, had idlers and belt replaced recently. The radiator split and the waterpump was making evil noises so when those came out the mech suggested the idlers be done. There went another 3K.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:19 AM

I did find this:
Marktan,

Please post when you know for sure about this. I've run my car about 5K with this issue though I can say it's not gotten any worse.