S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Very Strange Airmatic Issue - Please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Strange Airmatic Issue - Please help

When i bought my 2003 W220 S500 two years ago I had an issue where this same wheel would lower overnight. I had a diagnostic run on it and it was the valve block, while i was at it i replaced the pump as well and changed to the hella relay. No issues since then

We moved to California from NC last week and i noticed when i got home tonight from work after parking the vette in the garage that the S class was sitting cockeyed and when i checked the rear passenger wheel was lwoer by over an inch than the rest.

When i start the car nothing happens to ride height. When i drove around just very shortly and hop[ out really quick that wheel has been raised to the proper height but then quickly within 10 seconds of stopping, while running still lowers to the same level i found it int he driveway today. It does not bottom out or anything it just lowers a good inch or so more than the rest and i mean within 10-15 seconds max it is a controlled lowering

I replaced the relay again as they are cheap. THis time it raised when i started driving and then when stopped but still running it seemed to stay at the right level.

Here is the odd part, when i backed back into the driveway and then hopped out it had lowered again almost instantly.

Pushing the button to raise the car raises it all up, pushing the sport suspension buttons to lower it lowers it all down.

The only time there is an issue is right after stopping and shutting down. WHen i first bought the car it would lower overnight, now it happens right away but i don't think it is a leak because it is very controlled and goes to a specific height

Like i said the valve block and pump are not even 2 years old with only about 23k miles on them

Any ideas?????
Old 11-08-2011, 09:21 PM

one thing i just thought of not knowing how the level sensors work is with my car just having been shipped from coast to cost and strapped to a flatbed several times to do so is there any chance something is just out of calibration?? Like i said it lowers to this point right away and in a very controlled fashion not like a slow loss of pressure overnight or several hours like i have seen in the past when there are issues??
Old 11-09-2011, 01:16 PM

S 350
I have the same thing, my left back is lower than the rest of the sides. It's not a leak as it's rock solid at this height even if I leave the car for a week or two. Anybody know how many cm/inches it should be between wheel and the wheel whell?
Old 11-09-2011, 03:11 PM

S500
On stocks I think 3 or 4 fingers don't remember exactly. I have aftermarket