S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

M-B Roadside Rant!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 S600 (w/ fake AMG badge, I think)
M-B Roadside Rant!

My S600 had the battery die (I'm hoping it was just that I left the glove compartment door open for several weeks during cold weather). I go to slap on the charger when I realized the battery is in the trunk. A pain but it's not the first ride I've had so configured.

I go the open the trunk when I realize it won't open without electrical power. Oh no. I look in the manual for a, um, manual release. Turns out it's a damned key. Really oh no because the dealer I bought the car from (non-MB) didn't give me one and I didn't know enough to ask. Lovely.

I called the nearest MB dealer asking to have a key made. They said they'd need the VIN - no problem. Well, no problem until I get to the guy that can actually make this happen. It further turns out MB has a policy that they won't make that key without seeing the car in person. No exceptions - sorry. Mega oh no because the only way to get it there is to tow it. 250 miles.

This is the point I call Roadside for help. They'll get someone right there (for a fee) who can get that trunk open. "Really? Do you understand the situation?", I asked. They assured me they did and there would be no problem. At that point I asked about getting a locksmith. "No, that won't work. No locksmith could pick that lock. Credit card, please.".

Thirty minz later a local tow company guy shows up with jumper cables. When I saw that I chuckled, suggested he cut the motor on his truck and that we should talk. It took me probably another half hour to convince this guy the battery was indeed in the trunk and I had no way to access it.

When he finally left I called Roadside again. The next rep wanted me to pull fuse 62 near the back seat (the one that resets the security mode for trunk access). When I told her, again, that the car had no power and this would have no affect she insisted that was the only answer and I should at least try her solution. Gawd.

Finally, I open the laptop and searched this fine forum for a way to get a charge on the battery. Turns out there's a hot lead under the front passenger floorboad. I again called Roadside to verify what I'd read and they connected me with an MB shop's service department. The guy confirmed so I tried it. Voila! Why they couldn't have done that initially I don't understand.

My thanks to this forum! You probably saved me a grand if not more.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S500 & 2011 Mini JCW
Did you realize you have a metal key inside the electronic key that is used inside the car or with keyless go?
Old 11-15-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by srknutson
Did you realize you have a metal key inside the electronic key that is used inside the car or with keyless go?
LOL! I always sort of wondered what the little slider on the top of the key was about.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 160 Posts
SL55, S500
Originally Posted by Chris250
LOL! I always sort of wondered what the little slider on the top of the key was about.
I can't tell if he's joking right now or not
Old 11-16-2011, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Das Geld 2
I can't tell if he's joking right now or not
No, Das, he's not joking. He honestly didn't know the metal key was inserted in the plastic key.

He definitely does appreciate the help, though.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 S430
this site has saved me about 3k altogether, very wonderful site
Old 11-18-2011, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
Well now you know where your metal blade key is, which can be used in your door and trunk lock ... And you know where the battery power point is located in the passenger floor area..,,

BUT!! The most important lesson is NEVER jump start these cars using jumper cables and a running car or tow truck!!

Many people have fried their Sam or other electronics by jump start.

You can apply power to the power point using a portable jump start pack so you can open the trunk. Then use the pack directly on the battery in the trunk.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by tusabes
Well now you know where your metal blade key is, which can be used in your door and trunk lock ... And you know where the battery power point is located in the passenger floor area..,,

BUT!! The most important lesson is NEVER jump start these cars using jumper cables and a running car or tow truck!!

Many people have fried their Sam or other electronics by jump start.

You can apply power to the power point using a portable jump start pack so you can open the trunk. Then use the pack directly on the battery in the trunk.
Had the same issue with a 928. I think they can be jumped but, as you mention, not by a running vehicle.