S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

another '05 S600 misfire thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opposite-lock...
another '05 S600 misfire thread

So I threw a CEL and got a misfire yesterday, a whopping week and a half after doing the Eurocharged install to my 54k car. Jerry now tells me 1 in 5 biturbo V12's experience coil issues after the mod - info that mighta been handy to know prior 8-).

Wonderful. Jerry was very responsive at least.

Pulled codes, got 2: random misfire / misfire #5

Situation was 39*F, 5th gear in Convenience mode up an longer inclined on ramp, went to floor it to merge knowing I was low in the revs and it might bog somewhat, felt a few shudders and feathered through it thinking I may be hitting the trans tq limiter, then when I went to re-stuff the throttle the CEL lit and the misfire came / stayed.

Unplugged ECU, no more CEL / misfire. Drove 12mi, CEL returned but no misfire. Drove another 15mi later in day CEL still on, got to bottom of ramp and misfire returned while waiting for the light to change.

Shut off, let sit an hour, CEL still on but misfire gone. Dumped codes, cleared CEL, drove 10mi no CEL no misfire.

This morning, CEL lit about a mile after start, no misfire. Misfire developed at exact same spot (on ramp) as prior day, probably 15mi into commute.

So, the million dollar (er, 1500?) question... coil or ???????

Definitely is load related. I can puss it and it seems to stay w/o misfire, and put it in neutral when @ lights so as to not load the motor. Should have known better to not puss up that same hill again, I'll drop a gear next time.

Any insight appreciated. Merry fekkin Xmas, I'll say. Fuchme when it rains it pours - I bought this hoping the CPO to 4/12 would xfer but MB nuked it upon title not going thru MB dealer... and found out this week same case for wife's GL we got in Sept, thought was CPO thru 1/13 and bzzt wrong.

Anyone got any connections / pull with MB in 'that' (CPO reinstatement) regard? I called them but got the stiffarm...
Old 12-22-2011, 11:07 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
I have seen that as well with coilpacks about to go bad.....the software just makes that more evident...

Old 12-22-2011, 11:14 AM

opposite-lock...
DEFINITELY not blaming you guys... just found the "1-in-5" knowledge *after the fact* kinda funny 8-)

Just my crapluck tho... the sun never sets in my world...
Old 12-22-2011, 11:20 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz
DEFINITELY not blaming you guys... just found the "1-in-5" knowledge *after the fact* kinda funny 8-)

Just my crapluck tho... the sun never sets in my world...
ya didnt take it that you were....just does indeed suck. The way I look at it is at least you caught it while the car is still drivable, instead of sitting on the side of the road with the misses looking at you with "the look" lol
Old 12-22-2011, 11:55 AM

opposite-lock...
I get that look anyway 8-/

anyone got a loaner coil? Need to buy me, oh, say, 45 days 8-)...