S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Comand & Parrot Bluetooth Compatibility, Telephone Error & Linguaronic not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S320 L CDI
Comand & Parrot Bluetooth Compatibility, Telephone Error & Linguaronic not working

Comand & Parrot Bluetooth Compatibility, Telephone Error & Linguatronic not working

Hello

Firstly apologies for the long-ness of this, my main questions are highlighted in bold. Photos have been linked at the bottom, so you can see what is in my car.

I brought a 2001 (51 plate) Mercedes Benz S320 L CDI (W220) last October & it has been running great. It has nearly all the options available for this year & model. I had a free ‘Visual Health Check’ carried out at Mercedes Benz Dartford. The only things they found where things I knew about when I brought the car. (Cracked passenger vanity mirror, faulty driver side indicator in wing mirror etc.)

I have now got some free time to getting Bluetooth integration installed into the car. But have come across some ‘problems’.

When I brought the car, I knew it had no CD changer in the boot, which did not bother me as I have my music collection on my phone (I am currently using a cassette to 3.5mm jack for my music, but I can’t make calls like this). I assumed I could just use the cd slot at the front if I needed to. I later found out that this tray is for the Navigation CD only. (I still don’t understand why MB did this; it shouldn’t cost that much more to include normal cd features).

Car Bluetooth for phone calls & music

Initially I thought about buying this:
http://www.car-vision.co.uk/merc-nav...-10000000.html
Then thought against the idea, its OEM, if it goes wrong, I’m probably going to be stuck & it doesn’t have the best operating system on it.

Then I saw this:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_237503
I do like the idea of it, but it requires a new facia for the car, which is about £200 on its own. I don’t fancy paying that much for a facia.
Does anyone know where I could get the wood finish (burr walnut trim) double din facia for much cheaper?
Or even another unit similar to this one. That can integrate fully with the car speakers.

So I looked into Bluetooth Parrot Systems. Mainly this one: Parrot MKi9200
http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/hands-free-car-kits
Parrot’s web site says that it is compatible. I know that the steering wheel controls won’t work, but that won’t bother me, as it only means the volume buttons won’t work.
On Parrots website, I am asked to select from 2 options:
System – with active sound system (The car kit installation needs an adaptor with the reference PD0001100AA)
Or
System – without active sound system

I have no idea if my car has this or not, how could I find out?

All I know is that my car has Comand control and display system (Code 352), with the fitted Nokia cradle in the arm rest (Code 854) & linguatronic (Code 390). No tuner for TV.
I have spoken to different stores/fitters; each has told me something different regarding this car needing an extra wire (£50-80). One has even said it is not needed.
Does anyone know if this extra wire is needed for the Parrot system?

Integrated Nokia cradle telephone

This is listed as a factory fitted option, Code 854.

I have a spare Nokia 6310, which I have put a working sim card in.
The handset still works perfectly like it was 2002. Can make/receive calls fine.
When I put the Nokia in the cradle, the Comand Screen displays Tel Error in the top left.
While in the cradle, I ring the Nokia from my BlackBerry, the Nokia rings, but I hear nothing on the car speakers.
If I press the answer call button on the steering wheel, nothing happens, the Nokia keeps ringing.
If I answer the Nokia by pressing its green call button the music on the radio continues the play but the call is active.
If I tap the microphone (in front of the rear view mirror) I can hear this on my BlackBerry, while the car radio is still playing in the car. I can’t hear the car radio on the BlackBerry though.
I have to basically shout, so that anything is heard on the BlackBerry.
Speak into the BlackBerry & nothing is heard on the car speakers.

Anyone have any ideas at what could be at fault here?

I think I may have a module missing in the boot; I have linked photos at the bottom of this.

Linguatronic

This is also listed as a factory fitted option, Code 390.

Simply put, it doesn’t work.

This is what my comand looks like:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22641734/MB%...S320Comand.jpg

This is the serial number on the Nokia Car Cradle:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22641734/MB%...okiaCradle.jpg

This is the compartment in the boot where the CD changer should be:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22641734/MB%...0/S320Boot.jpg

These are the 2 wires in the CD changer compartment:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22641734/MB%...0BootWires.jpg
Old 02-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
I guess I am not clear on your research... Your COMAND is a typical 2.5 COMAND that is D2B The 'wires' you picture are the fiber optic cables and not wire at all (just for clarification). Your Nokia system is fiber optic based as well, as is the Linguatronic. Removing the COMAND will disable all the other devices. If you remove that liner a little more, it would show if your car has the fiber optic amp (Active system they are referring to). In North America there is no such thing as an S Class without the fiber optic amp, but I cannot speak for the ROW cars.

The Parrot (or any other stereo like the Kenwood for that matter) is NOT D2B fiber optic compatible. You would need to rewire the car for sure. The Mercedes are simply not plug compatible with typical stereo systems.

But for bluetooth only, you can look into a Viseeo MBU-1000 in your country. This will snap into the Nokia cradle and give you bluetooth.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:21 AM

2001 S320 L CDI
Thank you for your reply.

I have looked at the Bluetooth Viseeo MBU-1000 but would rather something that does Bluetooth Music too.
Also if my Nokia Telephone isn't working in the cradle properly, I'm not too sure if the Viseeo would either.

I will have a look in the boot to see if I can find this Active Sound System Amp later in the week.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
'00 S320 W220, '98 A160 W168/ sold in 2005 '86 260 E W124 '90 260E W124
first thing you need to check is the D2B bus. If this is broken or unplugged neither the Liguatroic nor Phone or other componetns won't work. The message on the screen "no Phone..." can either be the D2B bus or the hardwired connection between the phone control unit (underneath the rear seat driver side(GB-version)), or the Western Plug to the cradle. What is the message for Linguatronic?
I think the Viseeo is a solution, for a phone function. The BOSE sound system plus CD-changer is an option, which may not have (check the rear left boot/trunck corner (opposite from the battery compartment). If this is empty no soundsystem. What you can install is the so called Mercedes player MP40 (check the internet) this can be installed into the D2B bussystem. When you download the manual it is very well described what has to be done for the W220 with the Comand 2.5
Old 02-10-2012, 06:16 PM

2001 S320 L CDI
Bamberger_1 thank you for your reply.

If the d2b was broken, would the radio/cassette/navigation still be able to work like it is?

With regards to the message on the Linguatronic, there is no message. I pull the stalk that is on the right of the steering wheel in either direction. With the phone plugged in or not. Nothing happens, I try one of the the commands written in the little booklet I have for it & I get no response.

In my boot corner, I have 2 cables, 1 which appears to be the end of a optical thing. The other which I assume would normally connect into the cd changer that we dont have.

I have had a look at the MP40, thanks for that it is something to consider.