S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2004 S class - wing mirror not heating up.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S55K AMG
2004 S class - wing mirror not heating up.

Hello all

I noticed the other day while driving in the wet that the passenger side wing mirror was clear while the drivers side was all wet. I touched the passenger side one and it was nice and warm, touched the drivers side one and it was all cold and wet.

The only minor problem it causes is that it doesnt clear the water off the mirror and when your reversing an S class in the dark with very poor visibility and no rear wiper either, you think your reversing a bus instead.

I just wondered if the drivers side mirror is on a separate fuse? And if so where is the fuse for it? Though i dont think this would be the porblem as all the other electrical functions of the mirror work fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 s500
I have noticed the same thing on my 2000 s500
Old 02-14-2012, 01:20 AM

S55K AMG
While just having a quick search on fleabay i came accross this, wonder if its a straight fit?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-S...64626748247216

Seems a very cheap and ideal fix to this.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:59 AM

2000 s500
I purchase a mirror (not for a mb) on eBay once. That was the last time. When I put it in it looked like you were looking in a fun house mirror. I couldn't believe how distorted the image was! I am sure someone will come along and have an idea.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
MB 2003 S600. Volvo 2003 XC70.
Hi,

I don't believe it's a good idea buying auto parts from Ebay especially for your S-Class. Other than cosmetic stuff which you could live with or without, you may end of up with cost much more than using MB parts.

I may consider used parts but at least they are MB. Or find OEM parts which is same quality but cheaper without the MB mark. These are the only two alternative I will choose. The last resort is the dealer part department not Ebay.

You need find out is this issue caused by a broken glass or others.
If it's the glass you need confirm whether you have dim or not, maybe give dealer a call. The glass with dim is much more expensive than regular ones.

Thanks.

Howard
Old 02-14-2012, 01:38 PM

S55K AMG
Originally Posted by haoz129
Hi,

You need find out is this issue caused by a broken glass or others.
If it's the glass you need confirm whether you have dim or not, maybe give dealer a call. The glass with dim is much more expensive than regular ones.

Thanks.

Howard
The glass itself is not broken, or atleast not from the outside anyway. No visible cracks or shatters, or even scratches for that matter.

The mirror i can confirm IS the auto dim one, but i thought that was just the angle of the mirror that was moved, didnt realise it was a different type of glass.

I actually came accross those mirrors whilst looking for a complete mirror unit off a dismantled car, i thought they might just do the trick.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by w4sim
The glass itself is not broken, or atleast not from the outside anyway. No visible cracks or shatters, or even scratches for that matter.
Yes, most of the chance you can fix it by replacing the mirror glass, see picture.
I believe the 2 electrodes are for heater and the black connector on the top left is for dimmer.

Actually I have the same issue as you. I took the glass out and the resistance reading of mine is 120 which should be 7-8.
And I have the code reported by DAS: - DCM-FL - Door control module front left
B1521-005 Exterior mirror adjustment and heating : The mirror heater has Short circuit or open circuit.

If you can confirm the resistance of yours is out of range that means your mirror glass is broken. Hence replace will cure the issue if you could confirm the donor has dim too.
Parts on these cars are little bit complex than we think and pretty specific, that's why I said don't by parts from Ebay.

Thanks.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails 2004 S class - wing mirror not heating up.-r005-driver-side-mirror-heater-01.jpg  

Last edited by haoz129; 02-14-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:56 AM

S55K AMG
Parts on these cars are little bit complex than we think and pretty specific, that's why I said don't by parts from Ebay.
Ahhh, i see what you mean now. I know these arnt the easiest of cars to work on but i didnt think they would be THAT specific.

I think it may have to be a case of learning to live with it if its like this, or see if a whole mirror unit can be sourced that is the same part number.

Thanks for your help so far Howard, very much appreciated. But did you get yours sorted yet or not?
Old 02-15-2012, 09:30 PM

Thanks for your help so far Howard, very much appreciated. But did you get yours sorted yet or not?
No problem and yes, mine is working now.

I took the glass off and split the back plate with glass. I found the heating film burnt, see picture burn on bottom left corner. I soldered it and put it back.

But I don't think it will last long and I'm looking for a used one.

Thanks.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails 2004 S class - wing mirror not heating up.-r005-driver-side-mirror-heater-03.jpg  

Last edited by haoz129; 02-15-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:07 AM

S55K AMG
No problem and yes, mine is working now.

I took the glass off and split the back plate with glass. I found the heating film burnt, see picture burn on bottom left corner. I soldered it and put it back.
I think im gona have to take mine apart and see if and where its broken from. Is it easy to split apart or is it sealed togetherand needs heat? Did you have to use any special material to solder it back together?

Im also now going to have to check my rear windscreen aswell as only the top quarter of that seems to demist when i press the button, another break i think.

Last edited by w4sim; 02-16-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:31 AM

I think im gona have to take mine apart and see if and where its broken from. Is it easy to split apart or is it sealed togetherand needs heat? Did you have to use any special material to solder it back together?
The black plastic back plate can be pry off as it is held by double side tape.
I destroyed the the tape and didn't use heat. Maybe by using some heat you can keep and reuse the tape.

I used regular solder material for electric. The heating film is not designed for solder or repair as the metal is too thin. I choosed a long wire and lay it along the wide part of the metal layer to create multiple solder point. This will make it strong and prevent over hearting on any single point.

It takes time and as I said it won't last long. Replace the glass will be the best solution.

Thanks.

Howard
Old 02-18-2012, 09:56 PM

S55K AMG
Can i just "unclip" the mirror from the front or will i have to take the whole mirror unit off to see whats behind the mirror?

Im assuming that the speaker grill on the inside of the door where the mirror is, is just a cover that actually hides some nuts/bolts to undo and take the mirror off the door, or will the whole door card have to come off?

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:13 PM

Can i just "unclip" the mirror from the front or will i have to take the whole mirror unit off to see whats behind the mirror?

Im assuming that the speaker grill on the inside of the door where the mirror is, is just a cover that actually hides some nuts/bolts to undo and take the mirror off the door, or will the whole door card have to come off?

Thanks.
Yes, just one clip and slide the mirror housing out. No need to touch anything else in/on the car. Check this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYWyrXwLRIc

After the mirror housing/case is out you can take the glass off then start your surgery.

Thanks.

Howard
Old 03-21-2020, 12:31 PM

S500
haoz129, I know this was years ago now, but did your repair stand the test of time? It looks like I will have to attempt the same repair on my driver side mirror.

I will need to use heat as the plastic is glued to the glass and the plastic will break otherwise.