S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

New Purchase '01 S430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S430
New Purchase '01 S430

Hello, I'm new to these forums and Mercedes Benz in general. I'm goinf tomorrow morning to look at a 2001 MB S430 with 63,000 miles. The car looks MINT but its a 3 hr drive to the dealer so tomorrow will be my first actual visit to drive it..... and if everything goes ok..... buy it. The asking price is $13,600 and I'm adding a warrant that covers the major things supposedly. I'd appreciate it if some of you could give me some things to look for in this car to avoid buying a hunk of junk lol. I'm a Cadillac man but I just couldn't resist this car!!! I noticed in the pics he sent me it said "Insert NAV Disc" on the screen but everything else is MINT. Its only a 2 owner, the first buying it new and the second bought it MB Cerified Used so it seems to have always had dealer service which is great. Well if theres any known issues I should be aware of the knowledge would be great! Thanks in advance for the help.....

Also does this model have HID Headlights or can I add SilverStar bulbs for a nicer apperance?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
Some have HID some dont. You can get a HID retrofit kit for about $50 in the group buy forum.

Get a prepurchase inspection from a MB dealer or independent shop specializing in MB. The suspension is the critical item to check, as is transmission mounts and electrical connections,.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2000 mercedes benz s430
Welcome to the forums UNKUT hope you get out of that Cadillac and get into a real luxury car.

First of is it a mb dealer or a private dealership? If it is a private lot be very careful buying a car like this from them the reason I am saying this is becuase I have freinds and family in the car business and I am sure this car came from a auction and has not been inspected like it would if a real mb dealer bought this car. I would at least have the dealer send you a carfax report before you drive so far. The price is kinda high for a 2001 even if the miles are low its still the first w220 style before the face lifted 03 models. Does the car have a sport package? what color is it?. If you are serious about buying this actual car I would take it to a local mb dealer and pay to have it inspected because this car can ether be a dream or a nightmare. Personally I would do some more looking and try to find a 03+ model for that kind of money. I think that car should be no more then 10k if its a good color and sport package. Also if you don't buy this one try to get one from a private seller with service records. I would stay away from aftermarket warrant most of the time they don't cover major components.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S430
Welcome to the Forum, it was a smart move to register.

I am not a real expert but collected tons of experience in the past 14 months with my 2002 S430.

First be careful with the extended warranty. Dealerships are in leage with those agencies, who are extremely aggressive and want to sell packages for around $4K. Everybody is for himself, but at least ask around, ask the opinion of an independent honest mechanics.
Second, do not rush to pay bundles of dollars to the dealership, if something "tolarable" goes wrong. Come to the forum and explore if some did it as DIY.

Just one example: my sunroof behaved erratically. It opened fine, but it did not close. Than, after 30 minutes it closed all right. Both the dealer and an independent shop diagnosed a control modul malfunction in the roof and asked several hundreds for repair.

I finally contacted a MB certified technician online and he taught me how to "reboot" the sunroof. I sent him $18.00 as a voluntary fee adn it took me 5 seconds to fix the roof.

Similar story with the PSE pump doing the soft closing (doors and trunk lid etc). Everybody wanted to change the pump, and I found the problem was a vacuum/pressure leak at the lumbar support in the driver seat.

Welcome again, good luck and no rush!!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 S430
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

i paid right under 10k for my 01' s430 with 95k miles about a year ago (i actually paid too much)

i figured, if i could save 100 ben franklins then i could own this car, dream came true!

though it was a 1 owner and drives like its brand new..

now its impossible to downgrade!!!!