S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

You got to see this, you really got to see this: Compound removes marks on painting.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 09:37 PM

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
MB 2003 S600. Volvo 2003 XC70.
Post You got to see this, you really got to see this: Compound removes marks on painting.

Hi,

There were marks left on all fenders when I bought the car. The previous owner put chrome trim and after removal marks left due the adhesive used.

The brown marks left on the silver painting make me feel very bad and you can see the picture in the my post.
At the very begining I decided to re-paint all the fenders, at least cover those brown marks. It's a big job and pretty hard for DIY.
As Johan/DRTYLNDY mentioned beffing will help detailing after paint, I started to grab some materials and ideas from a local painting supplier. The guy in the store see the marks and suggested me to buffing them. And it simply works.

Thanks Johan for the great ideas. By using compound to solve this issue I only need to treat the rust and paint limited areas. This really reduces a lot of the future painting works involved.

I was amazed and surprized by the result. Please see the following post for details and pictures.
Hope it help someone who need idea about how buffing and compound can do in painting and detailing.
https://mbworld.org/forums/5085203-post57.html

Thanks.

Howard
Old 03-04-2012, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 483 Likes on 427 Posts
Mercedes
Thanks!!

Here is the lowest price I see this product if shipped to the USA , and you get a giant tub of it

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-04-2012, 02:46 AM

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
MB 2003 S600. Volvo 2003 XC70.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tusabes
Thanks!!

Here is the lowest price I see this product if shipped to the USA , and you get a giant tub of it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004PZSSH8
Nice, George, what a lovely giant tub, . Great deal in case I would own a shop in the future. Always good to shop around.

Actually I also thought about 3M compound. But I'd like to pay the guy in the local store for his product this time. He really opened my mind about painting during our discussion. He is a nice person and I value his knowledge and idea. If nobody suggested me going this route I may end up with doing much more painting works. No idea whether I could get similar result or make it even worse, .
I printed two page process/plan about my fender rust cleaning and painting project, he helped me going through every step. This is kind of process I accumulate my kownledge and skill about painting. It's totally a new area for me.

I'm very happy and excited getting this result today. I told my wife if there is any magic in the world, this would be one, . That's why I want to share.

Nice to learn everyday.

Thanks.

Howard