star diog tool???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
Originally Posted by drewk88
I Purchased a Star C3 with external hard disk from seller carobd on DH Gate.
The only instructions were a powerpoint, it was written for an earlier software version. It was pretty much incorrect, incomplete and useless.

I installed the VMWare player from the hard disk, but the virtual machine on the hard disk would not run because it was created with a later version of VMWare player.

I've been trying to get help from the seller. They seem to not understand (or just ignore) the specific problems I outlined in my e-mails to them, and their replies were extremely slow. Now they seem to be just ignoring me completely.

I managed to get the software running, including Xentry.
I was able to make that happen either by using a newer version of VMWare player, or modifying the *.vmx config file to run on the older version supplied. (and getting the Xentry key)

I was able to establish communication with the multiplexer using a usb to rs232 adapter, but it was unreliable and the mux could not communicate with the control modules in the car.

Now I'm trying to use the computer's physical serial port, but I cannot get the guest machine's virtual com port to communicate with the host machine's physical com port. The ports are mapped correctly in the virtual machine settings, and they appear to connect, but an RS232 loopback test fails.

This project is really snakebit.
COM PORT 2 right? What do you mean connection was established but it won't communicate. Are you sure it was established. I need to push connect and disconnect, connect on the USB adapter in the taskbar to recongnize it.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 S600 Twin Turbo V12
Hello Das Geld,

Thanks much for the question.

When I try the loopback test from the VM to the physical port using hyperterminal, if something is not configured correctly hyperterminal will report some error like "cannot open com port" and the terminal window doesn't open. But if the configuration is OK it will open the terminal window with the underscore cursor blinking. If the loopback is working, you will see whatever characters you type echoed back and appear in the terminal window. So what I meant was that the terminal window opens with the blinking cursor, but whatever I type is not echoed back. If I do the same test from the host machine, hyperterminal will report a "cannot open com port" error if the VM is running, because I have the serial port set to connect at power on. That is, the port has been captured by the VM and it's not available to the host machine. So I have to disconnect the serial port in the VM to release the port, then go back to the host machine and the loopback test works.

I gathered that the multiplexer only talks to port COM2 in the virtual machine, so I mapped COM2 in the VM to the physical port COM1 in the host.

If you go into the VM and click PLAYER ~ MANAGE ~ VIRTUAL MACHINE SETTINGS, a window opens showing the serial port assignments. In mine, I see two, called Serial Port and Serial Port 2. I assumed Serial Port 2 was the VM's COM2, but now I think that's incorrect.

Why, because when I reassigned the physical port COM1 to VM Serial Port rather than to Serial Port 2, the loopback test works in the VM.
Hyperterminal is still set to talk to COM2.

I also added a PCI two serial port card to the computer, so now I have three physical ports, the original COM1 plus COM3 & COM4.

Now I can successfully connect to the Mux using any one of the three ports, as long as I map the desired physical port to Serial Port rather than Serial Port 2 in the VM.

If the loopback test doesn't work, you ain't going nowhere with the Mux.

Hope this all makes sense, it can be confusing.

Last edited by drewk88; 11-26-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 PM

Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts
2009 E350 4M Avantgarde;mistress 2002 S600; wife 2014 C300 4M
My experience with Chinese Star C4

You may wnat to look at my latest experience with your "snakepit"

See also:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ml#post5537561
Old 11-29-2012, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 174 Likes on 144 Posts
SL55, S500
Originally Posted by kraut56