S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

AMG Exhaust Alternative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS63
AMG Exhaust Alternative

Several weeks ago I saw an S 500 with AMG look-a-like chrome exhaust tips. The exhaust tips were oval shaped and hung under a stock S500/430 rear bumper. The rear bumper was not modified. Unlike the bolt on Schatz tips for $200, these tips were connected to an exhaust pipe that had been straightened underneath to go from the tips directly to the muffler. They looked great from a rear view AND from a down under side view. They did not have the "chopped off look" the $200 bolt on tips have from a side view. Has anyone seen or done this type of exhaust modification? It looks like it would just involve getting the right AMG look-a-like tips and having an muffler shop rework the pipes behind the stock muffler.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S-Class
My buddy bought a pair of genuine AMG bolt on tips for his S500 and I heard it cost him around $500 for the pair. I thought he was nuts. It didn't even go all the way back like you described. It angled back up towards the rear but you can obviously tell it was an add on and not the original thing.
I just bought a pair of chrome add ons from Ebay and it looks ok when you are standing over the car and looking at it but once you start going back and looking underneath, I do not like the way the exhaust ends in no mans land. I am contemplating about removing them and maybe even selling them.
Anybody out there with some suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.