time for new starter? w220 s600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s600
time for new starter? w220 s600

Hi all,

I have problem with starting my car. When I turn the ignition sometimes I only hears empty (sound like bzzzzz, no cranking noise at all like it didn't catch it or something ) but when it cranks it will turn over.

Sometimes it takes one try to crank. Sometimes few empties, then it will crank and turns over with no problem. And it happends whether the engine is hot or cold.

So from reading the threads, this problem could be contributed by a faulty in one of these few areas namely camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, brake pedal switch on keyless go start, and fuel pump ( fuel pump pressure is low, should be above 36psi when tested ).

Based on this condition will it be a close answer to call for a new starter?

And maybe just throw in a new crankshaft position sensor on top of it since it is cheap and easy to do ( although this one said this could be faulty only when engine will crank but not turning over only when it is hot )

What do you guys think?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:27 PM

s600
oh, and how is it to check if the starter is due for replacement, you know like if you check your battery with a voltmeter.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:59 AM

2009 Z06
First thing I would do is change out the battery.

A battery isn't just "good/not good". A fairly common failure pattern is that one of the plates gets loose or gets "oxidized" just enough. When it rattles to where it touches and has an internal short, the battery seems weak or dead. Come back later and things have moved around and it works.

This is more prevalent in hot climates or on cars that are very hard on their batteries, which is how I learned about it. It can also happen on a near-new battery, so age is no guarantee although of course this failure mode gets more likely on old batteries.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:09 PM

s600
The problem started I think last year when it was parked outside and it was super hot that day. And later on that evening it would hesitate to start succesfully, now i dont know it this relates to the heat, i.e. something melted, or stripped wires touched one another etc.

Now the battery just got replaced last month because suddenly when I turned the ignition the dashboard didn't even light up, ya know like when the battery weak and had no juice. So I was thinking that there might be something drained it but once I replaced it the problem is the same again, all the light will turn on on the dahboard it just that sometimes it will crank then start and sometimes I heard nothing at all. The new battery so far has not been drained.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:27 PM

s600
I replaced the starter...it's all good now