S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

KEY WONT TURN - PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S500Amg
KEY WONT TURN - PROBLEM SOLVED!!

So one day my key would not turn in the ignition in my 2002 S430. I had just bought a lovely case of beer only to get into my car, which the key no longer would turn in. When I was about to call for a tow, I thought to myself, "How can I trick this key into turning?" Well I decided the thing to do would be to hit the unlock button while attempting to turn the key, so that it would throw out a signal, and sure enough it worked!

Now that I figured that out I used this silly method to start the car for a few months until I had another issue which brought me to the dealer again. The dealer tried to diagnose the problem with no luck. They said I would probably need a new ignition, which would cost in the range of $1,000-1,100. I could not test if the problem was a key issue because I lost my spare, so I ordered another key. What do you know, the car works perfectly and the issue was the key. As a side note they do not give you the older syle replacement keys, they give you the new style chrome key, which is made far better. Cost me $240 for the key and was here in 5 days
Old 06-22-2012, 12:40 AM

Question

Hi,

When you ordered a new key, the dealer checked your car also?
To make short, I want to order a new spare key at a dealer in the US, but cannot drive my car to the dealer because my car located in a foreign country.

Actually, I bought a used car (S430, a US version) in CA and moved to Korea last year. In Korea, dealers refused to sell a new key for me because of Mercedes Benz Korea's policy. When I visited a dealer in WA in order to place an order of new key, this time, the dealer refused to sell a key, even though I presented all the ownership documents for I didn't bring my car and was told it was MB USA's policy.

Where can I buy a new spare key without presenting my car itself?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:28 AM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S63
MBUSA policy doesn't state you have to show them the car. It states you have to demonstrate you are the lawful owner and that you are who you say you are. There is no way any of these MB area managers will stick their neck out and authorize a key purchase if you tell them the car is not in the USA. US dealerships can get fined by MBUSA if they release a theft relevant part illigally - so dealerships and MB area managers can be just spineless about a legit but unusual condition like yours.
Somehow, you have to show-up at a US dealer with your title and drivers license and tell them the car is at home since you don't have a key.
If you are not in the US right now, they might accept an affidavit that someone is legally doing this on your behalf. If anything, thats what I would explain to the Area Manager if required, that you are not available, but don't mention the car not being in the US.

Your other possible option is to find a company that can "Copy" the key since MB will be providing you a new key with a new track number. You can have up to 8 keys on your car (8 tracks). A copy would be an MB illegal copy using the same track number. Not all Drive authorization system will permit a copied key since there is an increment every time the key is used plus a random number of sorts.
There is a company in the UK that claim to be able to copy MB keys to make a duplicate. Ask them, Good luck!
http://www.replacementmercedeskeys.co.uk/contact-us-1/

Last edited by jnash; 06-25-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:41 AM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S63
Originally Posted by 02S5bigboy
So one day my key would not turn in the ignition in my 2002 S430. I had just bought a lovely case of beer only to get into my car, which the key no longer would turn in. When I was about to call for a tow, I thought to myself, "How can I trick this key into turning?" Well I decided the thing to do would be to hit the unlock button while attempting to turn the key, so that it would throw out a signal, and sure enough it worked!

Now that I figured that out I used this silly method to start the car for a few months until I had another issue which brought me to the dealer again. The dealer tried to diagnose the problem with no luck. They said I would probably need a new ignition, which would cost in the range of $1,000-1,100. I could not test if the problem was a key issue because I lost my spare, so I ordered another key. What do you know, the car works perfectly and the issue was the key. As a side note they do not give you the older syle replacement keys, they give you the new style chrome key, which is made far better. Cost me $240 for the key and was here in 5 days
Tricking the key to turn is intriguing. Thanks for sharing. What doesn't make sense to me is that the problem was the original key itself and that was proven with a new key. Can you still use the broken key and simultaneously press the unlock button and reproduce the originnal problem still? If that's he case, MB has a bug in their firmware that is good to know.

Interesting to know, MB goes to great lengths to protect you and actually more like themselves from theft of the car by a thief. However, its pretty easy to build a system that will pickup the signal from a key in someones pocket who are inside say a bar, and relay it short range to a person outside standing next to you car, get inside and press the KeylessGO button and drive away - haha so much for that! Each key would need a on/off switch or take the battery out. Wonder how many people will start freaking out who now read this - LOL

Last edited by jnash; 06-25-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:13 AM

jnash,
Actually I visited a dealer in the US in person with a registration card and my driver's license but was rejected to purchase a key.
BTW, Do you know what are the main causes of key's break?
If I push key button, it faintly lights, but it would not turn the ignition on.
Thanks,