DIY Oil Change Video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 01:05 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
s500
DIY Oil Change Video

Hey guys,

I didn't see any DIY tutorials on this topic, so I made a video for you guys that like to DIY. Enjoy it and let me know what you think.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Not a bad video and thanks for doing so.

but I'd edit it.

1. Your lifting procedure is a bit odd and overly complex to me. The way I do it is to simply hit the airmatic raise button, and then slide the jack under the subframe lifting block. then you can lift both sides without the extra wood or jacking. you can also use ramps.

2. I'm guessing the people who will watch this are extreme noobs, so probably best to let them know to place a new drain plug washer on before reinstalling. Same goes for the rubber o-rings on the filter cap/assembly.

3. Drain plug on my car is actually 1/2", so to avoid rounding, both should be tried.

To get the filter on there easier, put some fresh oil on the top and bottom of the filter...no twisting required at that point, it just pops right in until you hear a click/thud.

4. quick tip, before you install the filter, pour the oil into the filter well. No funnel needed and you can pour in the oil as quickly as you want.

5. another tip, If you only have the front of the car raised, use a jack to lift the drivers side rear. This will get you another 1/4 of a quart or more drained out...bringing me to my final point.

6. the oil capacity with filter is 8.5 quarts or 8L with the filter.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2000 S430, 2000 S500 Both Brilliant Silver!
Originally Posted by Oliverk
1. Your lifting procedure is a bit odd and overly complex to me. The way I do it is to simply hit the airmatic raise button, and then slide the jack under the subframe lifting block. then you can lift both sides without the extra wood or jacking. you can also use ramps.

To get the filter on there easier, put some fresh oil on the top and bottom of the filter...no twisting required at that point, it just pops right in until you hear a click/thud.

4. quick tip, before you install the filter, pour the oil into the filter well. No funnel needed and you can pour in the oil as quickly as you want.
Good video, I just use the factory jack and a jackstand instead of the wood..keep it simple.

I couldn't figure out how to get just one line on the filter to show even after doing the oil changes myself since '08, after this vid now I do.

Oliver has a good point, pouring the oil in the filter housing is a really good idea
Old 06-02-2012, 02:45 AM

s500
Oliverk and Vmaxx, thanks for the informative feedback. I'll make the changes, but for now I'll use annotations until I can redo those scenes.
Yes this video is directed towards beginners and actually I first tried to raise the car using the airmatic system, but I couldn't fit the jack under the bumper. Maybe the AMG bumper sits lower than the standard bumper?
Old 06-02-2012, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
i have the amg bumper too, so it may depend on the jack.

driving the car onto the wood might work well also.

glad to see someone making videos on this kinda stuff though since many people need the visuals.

good job
Old 06-02-2012, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 156 Posts
SL55, S500
Very well executed.

Great quality and format.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:51 AM

s500
Thanks Das Geld 2! Oliverk that could be the case. I like the wood method too, but sometimes I run into issues where the wood starts sliding as I'm attempting to drive up on it. I'll work with that in the future though.