S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

A different kind of air compressor problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 s430 4m
A different kind of air compressor problem

Hey I have been searching the forums and have seen many of the air suspension related issues but none are like mine..I would start the car and every time I pass a speed of about 42ish kmph (or 26 mph) the compressor would start this vibrating noise, the vibration would happen only the first time I pass 42 kmph during my trip and and last for 10 to 15 seconds and the rest of the ride would be smooth.

Recently it started to happen more often.. sometimes when I go on the freeway then the noise would come back once I slow down form the freeway speeds (it would start once I decelerate to 60 kmph and below) or when I drive agressively the compressor would also act up at random. I have noticed the early stages of what I just explained this past January and It has slowly gotten louder and more frequent. In every occasion the vibration would last 10 to 15 seconds or so.. Now it also starts when I press the raise car button.

I should mention that the car has never gone low to the ground like I have read that it happens often to these cars (particularly the pre facelift models) and I have never gotten any message from the car about any airmatic problems like car to low. I have changed the relay to the better hella kind.

When I park and leave the car I can hear some air coming out and the car does seem to go down like a very small amount. Same thing when I start it up and leave it in the park position, if I look hard enough I may notice the car rising be a little amount (but without any noise what so ever).

I also noticed those hairline sized cracks on top of the front struts although I did the soup water test and no bubbles..I could have done it wrong though.

Im not shure if the compressor is bad, if there are any leaks in the system or if the compressor is loose on the mounting. ( I have looked at the bottom of the car and noticed that the compressor is easy to wiggle a little anyway)

Thanks for reading, any help is greatly appreciated because the vibrating noise is driving me nuts!!!!!

its a 2003 s430 4matic btw
Old 06-16-2012, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
it could be that your compressor is weak and has to run for extended amounts of time to keep up.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 160 Posts
SL55, S500
I've had this since 2010..I just accepted it as that I installed the vibration ring back words and that is why I hear it going on/new pump design/used old short hose..other theory was a leak inside the block..but my car doesn't drop a cm when left even for weeks at a time.

I am curious though does the car have the ability to turn on the pump when the car is off to self-lvl?
Old 06-17-2012, 10:26 PM

2003 s430 4m
Hey I guess since you had the problem for 2 years now and your car is still okay then I got nothing to worry about! Has the noise driven you crazy by now? (even though it lasts for only 10 seconds) I hate it when I'm driving someone and there all impressed with my car and then the noise comes on!!! The car dose not have any ability to level if it is off btw.

I hope it's not the compressor that's weak, the car only has 70 000 km (43 000 miles) I'm going to get a new bracket, with the buffer, nut, spacer tube, spring, and rubber buff. I took a look at the compressor the other day and it seemed loose, I was able to easily wiggle it my hand... I have the part numbers if anyone needs.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:32 PM

W 220 320 cdi
C HECK THE BRACKET BETWEEN THE PUMP AND THE CHASSIS. I HAD A SIMILAR THING TWICE BEFORE AND IT WAS A BROKEN BRACKET AND THEN LATER A SPLIT WASHER BETWEEN TH EBRACKET AND THE PUMP

IF PUMP IS OK IT SHOULD RAISE CAR WHEN YOU PRESS THE BUTTON IN LESS THAN 20 SECS
Old 09-27-2012, 04:46 PM

2003 s430 4m
hey i want to make an update for anyone that has had the same problem. at first i changed the air compressor and as im driving away from the shop and pass 40 km/h i hear the same noise! and im thinking fml!! the car was the same as before in terms of air compressor noise. so then i got the bracket changed and the noise went away completely. turns out the bracket was heavily rusted and not holding the compressor properly.

in short i needlessly bought a new compressor but at least i found a discount on the forum from arnott for the pump. btw im selling my old pump now for 150$ canadian, i live in the toronto. it works 100% or your money back. cant go wrong!