small flat head screwdriver
fluid pump or other suction device

Parts needed:

1. Pump
2. 1 liter of proper fluid
3. 1 sealing ring
4. 1 small hose clamp (3/8 to 3/4")

Time expected:

took me 1.5 hours my first time out...Could probably do it in an hour now.

Steps:

1. Use the 16mm socket and ratchet on the tensioner bolt (its to the left and down a bit from the tensioner pulley. Turn counterclockwise to loosen tensioner and remove belt, noting the routing.

2. Remove front engine cover and right side intake tube

3. Suck out the fluid from the reservoir.

4. On the back side of the pump along the block, you will find 2 external torx bolts roughly 4" apart vertically (the top one is by the silver ribbed AC hose, and the bottom one is by the Black assembly that bolts to the AC Condenser) Since clearance is tight, use your 10mm box wrench to loosen these bolts.

5. Use the 22mm box wrench to remove the pressure line banjo bolt on the drivers side of the pump. Expect some fluid drippage here. I twisted up a shop towel in the banjo fitting and pushed it up and in front of a coolant hose to hold it up and out of the way.

6. Use the t-50 torx socket/wrench to remove the tensioner pulley.

7. Using the E-14 socket, loosen the two bolts on the front side of the pump. One is behind where the tensioner pulley was, and the other is right below the fluid reservoir.

8. Use the E-10 socket to remove the bolt holding the reservoir to the oil filter assembly.

9. Now, you should have all 4 bolts loose but not removed. Use your small screwdriver to pry off the hose clamp on the return line. Use a suitable container underneath as fluid will drain out of this. I then stuffed a paper towel in the return line and put it behind the ABS unit up and out of the way.

10. At this point, you can remove all 4 loose bolts and begin to wiggle the assembly out.

11. Once you've got it up a bit, there is a ground on the back of the pump. use your 10mm box wrench to remove this.

12. Once out of the car, use the small screwdriver to pop off the C-clip holding the reservoir to the pump. Then slide the reservoir forward off the pump. Expect some more fluid leakage.

13. Clean up the area around the pump.

14. Use some fresh pentosin or fluid of choice on the new pump fitting that goes into the reservoir. Then slide the reservoir onto the new pump...twisting seems to be effective to get it to seat. You can then reinsert the C-Clip by hand.

15. At this point, removal is the reverse of install. Remember to use a new sealing ring on the banjo fitting and get the bolts nice and tight (I didn't torque them).

16. Put the belt back on in the correct routing and fill up the PS reservoir.

17. Important...Do not start car. Lift the car to get both front wheels off the ground, and turn the steering wheel lock to lock about 15 to 30 times. This works any air out of the system. i don't think this is really necessary, but hey, can't hurt.

18. Drop car, start engine...look for leaks, make sure the belt is tracking properly etc.

19. Go for a short drive, top off the fluid, and check it again in a few miles.

The description is far more complicated than the actual procedure.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Nice DIY

Did the power steering pump replacement for my old S500 and took some pics. These should help
Attached Thumbnails S430/S500 NON-ABC powersteering PUMP R&R DIY-dscf1312.jpg   S430/S500 NON-ABC powersteering PUMP R&R DIY-dsc00345.jpg   S430/S500 NON-ABC powersteering PUMP R&R DIY-dscf1314.jpg  
Old 06-24-2012, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Yup, I based mine off of your write up from a few years ago, so thanks!