S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

should alignment be dealer only job?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
335i
should alignment be dealer only job?

my car is back from the botch shop.. whatever they call an alignment left my car pulling right and with a toe setting that lets the front passenger tire rub the sidewall plastic hard enough to shave a bolt a full centimeter

after doing some searching it looks like the dealer will always get it right vs. less experienced shops.. I'm going back tomorrow to these guys for them to re-do it but I spent the night looking into the whole deal and I'm considering going to the stealer to do the work.. what's your opinion?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
well there are botch shops and expert indy shops.

You cant generalize that all shops besides a dealer will get it wrong.

But if you dont have an expert alignment shop, and are just using anyone not experienced in MB then yes you should avoid them and then use a dealer.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:59 PM

335i
long story short these guys are the worst shop in town, few years ago these guys screwed up a PSE pump replacement AND screwed up the trunk closer in the process, made us go to dealer and pay ourselves.

but my mom wants to bring it back once more to see if they can get it right cause we paid for an alignment already (and didn't get one) and *might* get this for no charge

she pays to fuel and keep the car so its her call.. but if they fail once more its straight to a qualif. indie.. i need to get flex disks replaced badly anyways

*EDIT hang on i took another short drive to get another opinion and thought of something i read a little before... the car doesn't pull constantly to the right, rather it seems the steering wheel is not centered with the wheels.. im guessing it was the tech or perhaps it was knocked off during the incident

Last edited by 02Drunkenup; 08-30-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
2007 SL55 AMG
where are you located? I'm sure there are other members on here that can point you to a more qualified shop for diagnostics.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:08 PM

335i
hmm I should have my location put in, I'm in the Princeton area of New Jersey

i got my car back today after it being with them (the local shop) for a few hours, and they apparently have done all they can, somewhat improving the drive ability but they're telling my the caster is off and parts need to be replaced in order to amend that.. so i still have the issue of my front pass. tire rubbing against the wheel well when turned left and when the weight leans on that corner, awful sound. still pulls right, so it isn't steering wheel angle

i talked about finding a MB shop in my area a month ago but i got no answers, but i'll definitely be searching for one for flex disk work cause the guys i just went to had no idea what i was talking about when i mentioned it