advice on 06 s350 66k miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 jetta tdi
advice on 06 s350 66k miles

Hi all you wise enthusiasts,

So I currently drive a 2009 jetta tdi, which I am am bored to tears with. I really, really, really want a Mercedes after going for a short drive in an 05 e500, however I am absolutely terrified of it breaking. I just saw a great deal on an 06 s350 with about 66k on it and I was wondering if I should run in fear or go take a look? I think its the 4matic if that matters.

I've heard of the "stuck in park" problem. Are there lots of other common expensive/difficult to fix problems? I would do my on oil changes and brakes and small stuff like that so I'm not afraid of normal repairs just parts that are expensive or impossible to fix without specialized equipment.

Thanks for any and all advice
P.S. should I look at a C or E class instead?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
The s350 was single year car and is a bit odd in that its a short wheelbase car (its about 5 inches shorter than the standard LWB). I don't believe they were offered in 4matic due to the length difference.

Are there some problems? Yes. Are they expensive to repair? generally. Are they difficult to fix...not with SDS and some mechanical skill.

I don't think you should buy it though.

The s350 is an oddball car and doesn't have much appeal on resale. The short wheelbase makes it feel more like an E-class and cuts down on rear legroom, as well as making the car look a bit funny. It also hurts the notorious S-class ride. Its also a base BASE model and therefore doesn't have many of the features, gadgets and luxuries that make the s-class so desirable.

If you can stomach some expensive repairs, look for an 2005-06 S500. The price difference probably won't be huge, and its so much more car.

As for the c class or e-class, it really depends what you want. If you want a sportier smaller car with less luxury but a more nimble nature, the c-class may be your car. If you want a mid-size car with a nice ride, some luxo features, a nice interior, and decent performance, the e-class is good. If you want a luxury ride, top of the line features, full sized comfort, etc, its S-class all the way.

Every time I drive a smaller more powerful benz, I think I'd like it, but then I get back into the old boat, and I realize why I still enjoy it so much.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 jetta tdi
Thank you so much for your thorough and thoughtful reply. Usually the reply is "this has already been asked, just search on the forum", so I really appreciate it. I could kind of tell in my uninformed way that this trim was uncommon, but I though it was just a smaller engine then the other S class models. I did not realize that there were other differences. The price on this car was on 15k, which falls right on the price range I'm looking at, but it doesn't sound like such a good deal the way you put it.
thanks again