S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Passenger door can't open

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 05:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2001 S430 W220
Passenger door can't open

Hi everyone. I just bought a 2001 S430, it's VERY nice car I love it.

There's a few small problems but this one is bugging me. The passenger door does not open from the outside when I yank the handle.

Oddly enough it opens from the inside, and once I open it from the inside.. then close it, it actually opens fine until I remote lock the doors. Then unlock, then sometimes it opens and sometimes it doesn't but most of the time it doesn't open from outside. Weird?

Also the soft close isn't working for this passenger door but it is for driver door. Also is soft close supposed to work on rear passenger doors and trunk? I don't think I noticed these working like this.

Appreciate any input, thank you.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:52 PM

2001 S430 W220
Also would like to add now that I check all 3 doors and trunk are working with power assist close except front pass. door.

I reseated 20Amp fuse under the seat in the back. It didn't look like it was popped.

After reseating the fuse, the passenger door when soft closed, starts hissing for 15-20 seconds and stops. Leak??

Also I don't know if this has anything to do after door not being able to be opened from outside (only if i yank handle while door is locked)
Old 10-31-2012, 11:58 PM

2001 S430 W220
no one haz advice?
Old 11-02-2012, 03:32 AM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
E-Class
I don't know if it helps but my rear passenger door on the right did not open from inside or out. The mechs had to pry it open without damaging paint and other stuff. What they found was the door lock actuator was defective. I don't know if that is your case since you are able to open it using your method. I replaced that part for 415 bucks. # 220-730-72-35
Old 11-02-2012, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by DimcheSRQ
Also would like to add now that I check all 3 doors and trunk are working with power assist close except front pass. door.

I reseated 20Amp fuse under the seat in the back. It didn't look like it was popped.

After reseating the fuse, the passenger door when soft closed, starts hissing for 15-20 seconds and stops. Leak??

Also I don't know if this has anything to do after door not being able to be opened from outside (only if i yank handle while door is locked)
You need an entire new door lock mechanism. What happened is the plastic end cap has broken and popped off the pneumatic system on the door lock thus allowing the air to escape.

I just had to replace mine and had the same loud whoosh as well. The whoosh sound tells you that your PSE is working

The white plastic cap holds the pneumatic diaphragm back under strong spring pressure. The sad thing is that MB could have made the plastic body cap on the unit 1/4" thicker and it would have lasted 2x longer. There is no replacement part for the cap, however, after looking at the part it may be possible to epoxy the cap back into place.

This is a common problem that usually happens after 7 years or so. Probably also depends on use (door closes).

The replacement is substantial. The door panel, inner door insulation, outside door handle, rear front door speaker, keyless go antenna (if equipped), inner and outer front window seals, as well as the front window and regulator need to come out in order to get the door locking unit out of the door frame. The unit is quite large (approx. about 1' long by 6" wide.). I had a friend who is a full time local MB tech help me with the repair and it took about 4 hours.

Last edited by awiner; 11-02-2012 at 03:41 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:33 PM

2001 S430 W220
damn, ok. I appreciate the info.