S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2004 S55 AMG - Bi-xenon headlight bulb blown, i think???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 07:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S55K AMG
2004 S55 AMG - Bi-xenon headlight bulb blown, i think???

Hello all

The other day when i switched the headlights on i noticed one of the bulbs did not light up. Although i was inside the car i did not notice any flickering or dimming of the bulb before it went out.

Now i had the bulb replaced but to no joy, tried the same bulb on the other side and it worked. Initially i though it would be a fuse but talking to the mechanic he was not 100% certain that the bulb was in properly the first time around, and may have possibly damaged the bulb from the other side whilst taking it out. So although he tried 2 other bulobs in there, he was not sure the first one was in there properly and the second one may have been damaged.

So now im going to experiment with bulbs tomorrow.

But i have a bad feeling its actually something else. Reading on here it would seem that its possibly the ballast or the ignitor?

But whats the difference and is there any way of testing either one? Are they swapable on the other side or will they only go onto one specific headlight?

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 ML400 Sportline
It may seem a little obvious, but replace the fuse for that side with a new one. Take it out of the equation.

From what you write, The ballast would be my first suspect too. However, the lights are computer controlled, so one other variable is the controller.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
I don't believe that you have "fuses" for the headlamps. The lights have "electronic fuses", which means that there is an electronic circuit that monitors power flow to the headlight, and cuts the circuit off if the power flow is abnormal.

The monitoring circuit will check power flow each time that you turn the circuit on, and if the flow is now good, it will power the circuit again. If the power flow is abnormal, the circuit will remain off.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
S55K AMG
Thanks for your replies chaps, but got this sorted.

As it happens the ballasts are interchangeable from side to side, so took both headlights out, changed the ballasts over and hey presto, the bad light started working and the good light stopped.

By way or a true xmas miracle i managed to source the correct ballast at an awesome price and managed to get it and fit it on xmas day. As a matter of fact the price was so good i got another one off the chap just as a backup incase i ever needed one.

Thanks anyway.