S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Motor Trend Driving Event

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes E320 and ML430
Motor Trend Driving Event

Hey guys... I just got back from the Motor Trend Driving Event at the Belmont Racetrack in New York. It was a really fun experience... it was basically a back-to-back comparison of the 2004 Audi A8L, BMW 745i Sport, and Mercedes S500. I drove each car 3 times around a long, very nice "performance" course, which started out with a straight-line acceleration test (to about 60 mph), then a sharp right turn, a less-sharp right turn, and a slalom type segment (6 turns) then a long sweeper, then another straight-away and then a hairpin and another straight away. Here are my impressions with each car:

Mercedes S500...
This car had the most beautiful interior out of the 3 (although the BMW was close!). The controls were by far the easiest of the trio to use, and the materials were excellent. The car had decent acceleration, although I certainly was not taken back by it. In fact, I was a little disapointed by the power because I expected more from Mercedes' 5.0L V8. Anyway, it was not a glaring weak point. The car certainly did not feel small, and even with the suspension set on its firmest setting there was still quite a bit of body roll. Moreover, the steering was quite slow (although beautifully smooth). The ride was supple and the brakes were fine. Overall, I was very impressed with this fine automobile (I had driven a 2000 and 2001 model a few years back when I went to my Mercedes dealer - but I decided on an E-Class then).

BMW 745i Sport
OMG! This car was AMAZING. The steering was ***unbelievable*** - quick and perfectly weighted. I was SO impressed. The ride was very nice (not too harsh) and there was ZERO body-roll. The handling was a perfect 10. The controls were very, very fussy though, and it took me a long time to figure out how to turn down the darn stereo and i was clueless about the climate control!!! ARG! frustrating - but i suppose i would be able to learn it in a few weeks. There was not as much rear seat space (as is to be expected with the "i" - but it certainly was not tight. Also, the acceleration was phenomenal, and was noticeably quicker than the other 2 cars. I am getting used to (an actually quite like) the outside of the car now, and the interior is nicely designed in my opinion. And, BMW thought of every last detail with this car - the door does not merely "beep" when you leave the lights on or the key in the ignition - it "chimes."

Audi A8L
Coming into this event i was expecting to be blown away by Audi's new flagship. I wasn't. The steering was slower than the Benz's. The materials didnt feel as good as i thought they would be. Sitting in the rear seat is like sitting in a coffin - long and low. The car felt awkwardly proportioned. The engine was much louder than the other 2, but the car was not as fast. There was a lot of tire squeal and body roll. The MMI was awkward (but probably easier than the I-Drive). The steering wheel itself looked ugly, and the exterior styling was so-so (although i like the rear).

My ranking.... (and score on a rating of 1-10)

1. BMW 745i Sport (9.2) - the only thing wrong with this car is the I-drive, and some question the styling - but i dont)

2. Mercedes S500 (8.4)

3. Audi A8L (7.8)

So, if I wanted a flashy car to show off in and thoroughly enjoy I'd buy the benz, i would never buy the Audi, and if I wanted a true drivers car that would bring me to tears every time i hustled it on a fun back-roud, I'd buy the bimmer.

Way to go BMW!
Old 08-02-2003, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does one participate in this event?
Old 08-02-2003, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes E320 and ML430
Unhappy

it was on motor trend's website... under events - or you were mailed an invitiation - although i think it was only for New York and California