S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Car won't start :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLK500 '00 S500
Car won't start :(

Ok here's the deal, 2000 W220. One day after a heavy rain I parked the car in the driveway and went inside to drop some stuff off. Came back out and the won't start. The dash lights come on, when I turn the key it doen't crank over. I noticed that the gear selection indicator in the dash doesn't show anything. It normally shows "P" when I turn the key on. Does anyone have any ideas or had the same problem and how did you guys fix it. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 G63
Could be a faulty EIS module (Electronic Ignition System) this is the part mounted inside the dash, the place where you put the head of your smart key into.

Or could be a faulty ESM module (Electronic Selector Module) this is your gear selector module in center console P-R-N-D.

Both were problems on the W220 S-Class only way to properly diagnose your problem is with a DAS machine. Take it to your local dealership, or any shop that is equipped with Mercedes-Benz Xentry and Mercedes-Benz WIS.

Once short test is performed the DAS will tell you exactly what has failed.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
you mentioned heavy rain.... have you checked under the hood? There is large plastic waffle grille located at the top of the engine compartment by the wipers that covers a reservoir which can fill with water

at the bottom of this reservoir is a "funnel" hole that gets clogged with debris and water collects, this water can then leak into your passenger compartment and cause thousands in electrical Damage including making your car not start

Either get a very long thin screwdriver or similar object like a chopstick down through the plastic waffle grille , and clear the drain hole at the bottom of the plastic reservoir

All the water should dump out under your car

I simply broke the tabs off the waffle grille and used my finger to clear the drain hole- water was pouring in my passenger footwell causing Damage

if you notice this reservoir is full of water start taking pictures and documenting , if you have compresenive insurance the repair should be covered as its water damage
Old 01-06-2013, 02:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S600
I am having the same problem with mine right now. I wish it was as easy as #1c55 is stating but my experience is that it is not easily diagnosable even with DAS. I am almost positive mine is the EIS but that is in doubt at this point. I will probably be starting a new thread to discuss my issues in detail so as to not crap on your thread. It is straining my relationship with my local dealer right now and I wanted the forum's advice on my next step. Good luck with yours.

Keith