S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600
View Poll Results: After reading the article do you agree or disagree with this opinion about the S-clas
Yes
53.75%
No
35.00%
Unsure
7.50%
Maybe
3.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Is the Mercedes S-class still the kind of the ring?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Cayman S / 2002 C230
I think the S Class has the stature of the Kind of the ring.. However, the new BMW and many newer models Q45/LS430/A8 have more features and options which put the mercedes in a lower spot... I feel the quality of the ride for the benz is still superior to other vehicles (comfort wise) But technology wise the benz is lacking..
Old 08-20-2003, 08:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by p010sp0rt8
I think the S Class has the stature of the Kind of the ring.. However, the new BMW and many newer models Q45/LS430/A8 have more features and options which put the mercedes in a lower spot... I feel the quality of the ride for the benz is still superior to other vehicles (comfort wise) But technology wise the benz is lacking..
I agree almost on everything you said till the comfort. I have extensive driving and riding in a LS430 compared to a S500 w/ Airmatic (as we sometime ago presumed it had the best ride quality of all S-Classes) and the LS430 feels like heaven compared to the W220. Lexus has the comfort ride down bar none. (Except Audi's, I've never driven nor rode in one.)
Old 08-20-2003, 10:09 PM

MB S500, Jaguar XJ6, Audi V8
I am driving my third Jaguar XJ, I have an Audi A8, and I also have a MB S500. I love all three cars, however, they each have different driving characteristics. I drive them for different situations. They each make me feel something different when I drive them. I have not, nor do I have any real interest in owning any of the Japanese big cars, they seem to be too neutral. My Jag is a little quirky and you know you are driving a Jag. The A8 drives like it is on rails and the Benz well what can I say. I have not driven the new 745 but have heard nothing but good things.

I guess the thing is if reliability is what you want, you will never own a Ferrari. I make my car buying decisions based on a genuine love of driving. These three cars I have mentioned a great to drive. If the issue of having a relationship with your mechanic is a problem, then it is probably a good idea to buy the big Toyota.

J.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 S500 Brilliant Silver, 1990 BMW 735iL, 1971 Pontiac Trans Am 455 HO, 1976 Pontiac Formula 400
Vraa, do the Airmatic only Benzes (2000 S500) have a better ride than the newer ones with ABC?
If so, that's cool by me.
Old 08-30-2003, 07:26 AM

1999 MB E430
Is S-Class still King?

I agree with the quality concerns, and overall view of the posts regarding lack of options as well. I'm getting ready to order an S55 or S600 (2004), and have had 3 E-Class (currently two E430's) of which the most recent car (2002 E430) has had some major quallity problems and has been back at the dealer's service dept. more than I care to think about.

My problem is there are no other competitors in the $100,000 - $125,000 price range that compete with the S-Class either in quality, style, or image. So, we are stuck with Mercedes I think.

Any ideas as to a legitimate option for the S55 or S600 would be appreciated, but I can't come up with one. I've considered waiting for the new Maserati Quattro Porte, but talk about quality and reliability problems on the horizon!

Thanks for the post though. I agree that Mercedes needs to get back to the basics and take a serious look at their product. They are diluting their name with the introduction of the low-end models and merger with Chrysler. Who would have ever thought that "poor quality" and "Mercedes-Benz" would have ever been used in the same sentence!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Is S-Class still King?

Originally posted by mcooperatl
I agree with the quality concerns, and overall view of the posts regarding lack of options as well. I'm getting ready to order an S55 or S600 (2004), and have had 3 E-Class (currently two E430's) of which the most recent car (2002 E430) has had some major quallity problems and has been back at the dealer's service dept. more than I care to think about.

My problem is there are no other competitors in the $100,000 - $125,000 price range that compete with the S-Class either in quality, style, or image. So, we are stuck with Mercedes I think.

Any ideas as to a legitimate option for the S55 or S600 would be appreciated, but I can't come up with one. I've considered waiting for the new Maserati Quattro Porte, but talk about quality and reliability problems on the horizon!

Thanks for the post though. I agree that Mercedes needs to get back to the basics and take a serious look at their product. They are diluting their name with the introduction of the low-end models and merger with Chrysler. Who would have ever thought that "poor quality" and "Mercedes-Benz" would have ever been used in the same sentence!!!

YEa thats very true man. I mean if you want u might want to look at a 745li or a 750li.

-Musfather
Old 09-10-2003, 07:14 PM
Guest0001

i think the S class is definitely the king of the ring.

now lets say you do not want to own and S class do to whatever reasons

lets look at the competetion

LS430- ahhh nope. ugly

745i- im not even going to go there

by process of elimination alone i will choose the S class.

yes looks matter when you are spending 60,70,80 G,s
Old 09-10-2003, 07:20 PM

A160 CLASSIC (The Tardis), VW Passat Diesel
I think the new Audi A8 is a very strong contender, MMI interface much better than I drive. Let's hope resale values are better than the previous model.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
Originally posted by Crankin
Vraa, do the Airmatic only Benzes (2000 S500) have a better ride than the newer ones with ABC?
If so, that's cool by me.

All of the S430's and S500's have Airmatic. Only the S55 and S600 come with ABC.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:33 PM
Guest0001

Originally posted by WishforE55
I think the new Audi A8 is a very strong contender, MMI interface much better than I drive. Let's hope resale values are better than the previous model.
i forgot about the A8

i actually like this car alot

if i did not get an S class i would buy an A8 for sure. very clean car with a nice interior.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:43 PM

A160 CLASSIC (The Tardis), VW Passat Diesel
With its powerful design and a range of innovations, the new Audi A8 defines Audi's high standards in the luxury class. "Vorsprung durch Technik" is confirmed not only by an all-aluminium body and quattro permanent four-wheel drive. Adaptive air suspension, an electronically controlled system at all four wheels with continuously adaptive damping, and the new 6-speed tiptronic are also in keeping with this philosophy. Together with all other details of the A8, they enable dynamic handling and safety at the very highest level.

Old 09-11-2003, 07:46 PM
Guest0001

any bigger pics of the A8
Old 09-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

I thought you'd never ask!
Attached Thumbnails Is the Mercedes S-class still the kind of the ring?-2003-houston-autoshow-100.jpg  
Old 09-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Attached Thumbnails Is the Mercedes S-class still the kind of the ring?-2003-houston-autoshow-098.jpg  
Old 09-11-2003, 09:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

last
Attached Thumbnails Is the Mercedes S-class still the kind of the ring?-2003-houston-autoshow-097.jpg  
Old 09-12-2003, 03:37 PM
Guest0001

definitely a beauty, love the color and the wheels!

how about some interior shots bro?
Old 09-12-2003, 10:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Sorry man, can't help ya there, all I had were three shots a friend (pocholin) took at the Houston Auto show.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:45 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 GLE 450
anyone primarily concerned with looks is shallow and ignorant. no matter what aspect of life you are involved with aside from art that is irrevocably true. if you buy your expensive car based on looks alone then you clearly have more money than sense. in the most recent issue of car and driver the s430 finished LAST in a shootout among the ls430, a8, 745, s430, phaeton, and jaguar xj. the issue of ride comfort is easily won by the lexus. just drive one. patrick bedard [whom I think is a moron based on his rants in his column] was the c*d writer who wrote the shootout story. he said the 745 was horrendously complex and rode terribly. the a8 and phaeton cannot handle anything but smooth road competently without inducing a hard ride. the jaguar is improved and I think [the article is not in front of me] finished 2nd. the s class is out gunned and tired in its styling and although to me it has the best looking interior it still finished last. if you ever get the chance to read the european magazines the benzes [all of them] usually finish near the bottom of any comparison. routinely its because of overly busy dashes, tired stylying, ridiculous prices, poor materials and mediocre performance. I think its well past time for people to open their eyes and concede that the idea of mercedes products being the 'best' does not mesh with reality IF you actually compare the cars they compete with. some of you are just blinded by the 3 pointed star. see the car and driver review here:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=7359

Last edited by digital_b; 11-28-2003 at 02:47 AM.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
Originally posted by digital_b
anyone primarily concerned with looks is shallow and ignorant. no matter what aspect of life you are involved with aside from art that is irrevocably true. if you buy your expensive car based on looks alone then you clearly have more money than sense. in the most recent issue of car and driver the s430 finished LAST in a shootout among the ls430, a8, 745, s430, phaeton, and jaguar xj. the issue of ride comfort is easily won by the lexus. just drive one. patrick bedard [whom I think is a moron based on his rants in his column] was the c*d writer who wrote the shootout story. he said the 745 was horrendously complex and rode terribly. the a8 and phaeton cannot handle anything but smooth road competently without inducing a hard ride. the jaguar is improved and I think [the article is not in front of me] finished 2nd. the s class is out gunned and tired in its styling and although to me it has the best looking interior it still finished last. if you ever get the chance to read the european magazines the benzes [all of them] usually finish near the bottom of any comparison. routinely its because of overly busy dashes, tired stylying, ridiculous prices, poor materials and mediocre performance. I think its well past time for people to open their eyes and concede that the idea of mercedes products being the 'best' does not mesh with reality IF you actually compare the cars they compete with. some of you are just blinded by the 3 pointed star. see the car and driver review here:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=7359
Well, I understand that people shouldn't base their car choice entirely on looks, but there is nothing wrong with wanting a nice looking car. This is why car designers spend millions just to make the car visually pleasing. Why would you spend upwards of $80k just to get a car that upsets you when you look at it, even if it does excel in every other category. I agree that the W220 is falling behind to its competition; hopefully the W221 will bring it back to the top.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:38 AM

W126 1991 350SDL
i'm surprised at the vote results - i figured it'd be more skewed towards benz-o-philes.

i think any car priced above the low 40s is a 95% subjective buy. a pre-owned 528 can serve the same needs for someone as a new S500.

once you get up into the 7 series and S class and whatnot, you're treading in the "if you have to ask...." territory. if an extra $1000 for some option is an issue for the buyer, the buyer is probably stretching too far. acura makes a GREAT sedan that won't break the bank.

i evaluated the audi A8 extensively before i bought my benz. i think that in the next MY (june? july?) they'll "have it all sorted out" as it were. right now the NA cars are lacking features available in euro-land.

the 7 series is just ugly . i LOVED the old 7 series.

but MB still has all the features, all the comfort, great looks, and, in the S55, incredible performance. it's a superb package, imo. is it perfect? nope. could it be improved? yup. does anyone else come close to the package? not in my book.

doody.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
S Class is still the Tops,nobody has made a car yet to beat it.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:49 AM

Lexus GS 450h
I think S55/S65 provides needed halo to the S-class. Clearly, it has no competition. The S600 battles the 760 and new W-12 A-8 and with the TTs, wins here as well (though I think the new A8 is GORGOUS).

The S500 is somewhat overpriced compared to it's competition. It does have looks going for it. The S 430 is clearly overpriced and for the badge only at this point. It offers nothing over cheaper or more expensive competition.

I must say the S has aged amazingly as at this point is the best looking large car to date. Period. It looks awesome. The interior is awesome as well.

The S class is a great car, it's just that the competiton is getting better and better and better. The S class needs to stop adding 1000hp to it's cars and some usless gadgets and invest some R&D in quality control. Hard to do with the German Unions which puts ours to shame.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:07 PM

Image is everything when it comes to being the car of choice by celebs, athletes, and diplomats, and even down to the common folk. Arguably, the S class is the best looking car in its class and is unchallenged by the competition. The S class has always been a prestigious looking car and Lexus and BMW just can't duplicate that. The S class interior is (as always) beautifully laid out and features a lot of neat but uneccessary gadgets. I think that the reason why most MB owners and Magazines are always in opposition is because we MB owners enjoy what the editors cannot quantify: heritage, image, prestige, and originality. The S class may not be the most practical and reliable car but who cares. I'd rather have my S class anyday over one of those boring Lexus' or BMW's.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Originally posted by vraa
There are exceptions to every rule.... Don't let age fool you. Now-a-days it's about what you have accomplished in your life-time that illustrates whom you are, have become, or have been. Associating age with with monetary contributions may be in it's own right, ignorance.... With such technological advances and understanding that there are people that know how to harness these tools for their gain. They deserve it. But yet again, there always are exceptions to the rules...

BTW. What technological advances has Lexus introduced ahead of Mercedes or BMW? I'm not too keen on Lexus but it seems as if to me all they do is take ideas from Germany's established auto-fabriks and try to perfect them. IT's almost like they let the others take the plunge and profit from their mistakes..... Would some of you percieve it as this?
Old 11-29-2003, 04:25 PM

just thought i would add a couple photos of the A8 for the poster that requested them

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the Mercedes S-class still the kind of the ring?