S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600
View Poll Results: After reading the article do you agree or disagree with this opinion about the S-clas
Yes
53.75%
No
35.00%
Unsure
7.50%
Maybe
3.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Is the Mercedes S-class still the kind of the ring?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 05:31 PM
Guest0001

Originally posted by internet_mafia
Image is everything when it comes to being the car of choice by celebs, athletes, and diplomats, and even down to the common folk. Arguably, the S class is the best looking car in its class and is unchallenged by the competition. The S class has always been a prestigious looking car and Lexus and BMW just can't duplicate that. The S class interior is (as always) beautifully laid out and features a lot of neat but uneccessary gadgets. I think that the reason why most MB owners and Magazines are always in opposition is because we MB owners enjoy what the editors cannot quantify: heritage, image, prestige, and originality. The S class may not be the most practical and reliable car but who cares. I'd rather have my S class anyday over one of those boring Lexus' or BMW's.
Well Said. When I am going to spend that much money 50,60,70,80 plus thousand dollars, I am not going to bust out my consumer reports and start studying which car is good BLAH! BLAH! Reliablility Blah costomer service. NO! It Becomes all Subjective. If i wanted a nice reliable car and not give a **** I would have a boring Honda Accord in my driveway.

The S Class is too nice of a Car to pass up. It just has too much going for it. Lexus can make there cars .75 times more reliable than benz. Woo hoo. I dont mind a few inconveniences and trips to the dealer.

That Said I'll take a Black on black S500 Sport!
Old 11-30-2003, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marta
Originally posted by viper11885
just thought i would add a couple photos of the A8 for the poster that requested them

Hmm, looks better in darker colors (Black).
Old 11-30-2003, 01:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Noble C320
It Becomes all Subjective.

The S Class is too nice of a Car to pass up.
Well you said it yourself, the car is too nice but that is subjective. Maybe it's because I'm a little wiser or something, but the W220 55 and 600 are the only models (because 65 isn't out yet) that are considerable, because after that, all your buying is image. S430 get beat by the LS, the 500 is pretty good, but what are you looking for? Sure ain't some sort of performance, sure can't be ride quality. Maybe it's prestige? I dunno, but around here Lexus ain't just another POS car; they are luxury cars that actually work not just some of the time, not most of the time, but all the time.

And for the inconveniences, I'd rather not be bothered by some little crap when I'm paying anywhere north of 3K$. Yes.. that's three thousand dollars.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by ajayz
Hmm, looks better in darker colors (Black).
hmmmmm.... looks good in all colors!
Old 12-02-2003, 10:03 PM

S430 get beat by the LS, the 500 is pretty good, but what are you looking for? Sure ain't some sort of performance, sure can't be ride quality. Maybe it's prestige?
What are you talkin about? I drove the LS430 and I like the ride of the S-class better, and besides that the S class is about 100,000 times nicer looking than the LS which looks just like what it is... a big toyota. its exterior is sooooooooo boring. Why do you keep talkin like youre some authority on cars, do you even have your license yet?
Old 12-03-2003, 07:53 AM
Guest0001

Originally posted by vraa
Well you said it yourself, the car is too nice but that is subjective. Maybe it's because I'm a little wiser or something, but the W220 55 and 600 are the only models (because 65 isn't out yet) that are considerable, because after that, all your buying is image. S430 get beat by the LS, the 500 is pretty good, but what are you looking for? Sure ain't some sort of performance, sure can't be ride quality. Maybe it's prestige? I dunno, but around here Lexus ain't just another POS car; they are luxury cars that actually work not just some of the time, not most of the time, but all the time.

And for the inconveniences, I'd rather not be bothered by some little crap when I'm paying anywhere north of 3K$. Yes.. that's three thousand dollars.

Ok, Why do you only say you would get the S55 and S600? Perfomance? According to you the Car is still a POS. So your saying the performance would make up for its not so reliable quirks? Well If you want performance take a look at the E55. Its funny how you change your mind about the S class when there is a few more horses involved. 300 hp is good enough for me although i dont mind a few more. I would probably use maybe 50%(not even) of that during daily driving. The ride on the S class is good balance between luxury and some Road. Ride quality is very good from most people that I know who drive it. the previous W140 was bashed on because of the boatlike, cloudy feel(isnt this what the LS430 is now?). So benz changed that with the 220 making it a better balanced overall car. I dont know about the LS430 about its feel as i never driven it or been inside the thing. Bit even Lexus will most like make there LS more sportier when the next model comes out. Just like MB did with the 220.

So if your wise as you say you are you still wouldnt buy a S class regardless if its an S430 or S600. Since its not supposedly at the level of lexus reliablity, interior, ride quality, dealer service

You would be even wiser buying S600 since that thing would in the shop twice as much as a regular S500 right? But no since its an S600 it doesnt matter to you. Even though supposedly the LS430 will be trouble free and have a slightly better ride than the S600 for half the cost.

I hope you are seeing my point here. There is reason why I choose an S500 over an LS430 where as you would choose a S600 over a LS430 even though the ride, dealership service, and Reliablity is supposedly better with the toyota.

Last edited by Guest0001; 12-03-2003 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
Originally posted by Noble C320
Ok, Why do you only say you would get the S55 and S600? Perfomance? According to you the Car is still a POS. So your saying the performance would make up for its not so reliable quirks? Well If you want performance take a look at the E55. Its funny how you change your mind about the S class when there is a few more horses involved. 300 hp is good enough for me although i dont mind a few more. I would probably use maybe 50%(not even) of that during daily driving. The ride on the S class is good balance between luxury and some Road. Ride quality is very good from most people that I know who drive it. the previous W140 was bashed on because of the boatlike, cloudy feel(isnt this what the LS430 is now?). So benz changed that with the 220 making it a better balanced overall car. I dont know about the LS430 about its feel as i never driven it or been inside the thing. Bit even Lexus will most like make there LS more sportier when the next model comes out. Just like MB did with the 220.

So if your wise as you say you are you still wouldnt buy a S class regardless if its an S430 or S600. Since its not supposedly at the level of lexus reliablity, interior, ride quality, dealer service

You would be even wiser buying S600 since that thing would in the shop twice as much as a regular S500 right? But no since its an S600 it doesnt matter to you. Even though supposedly the LS430 will be trouble free and have a slightly better ride than the S600 for half the cost.

I hope you are seeing my point here. There is reason why I choose an S500 over an LS430 where as you would choose a S600 over a LS430 even though the ride, dealership service, and Reliablity is supposedly better with the toyota.
And if picking the S500 over the LS430 is a decision just based on performance alone- now the LS with the 6 speed tranny brings the 0-60 time, which I think is now around 5.9 or 6, comparable to the S500 (6.1).
Old 12-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by Caliz_Finest
What are you talkin about? I drove the LS430 and I like the ride of the S-class better, and besides that the S class is about 100,000 times nicer looking than the LS which looks just like what it is... a big toyota. its exterior is sooooooooo boring. Why do you keep talkin like youre some authority on cars, do you even have your license yet?
The ride thing seems subjective to you I guess, but on the norm most (most) people agree the LS430 ride is much smoother than compared to the S500. Yeah your right, the W220 looks better than the LS430. I got nothing to argue there, but on the big Toyota, so this Toyota is giving the Big Body grief? That either says the Toyota is awesome, or the Benz is getting worse.. And I'm not talking like I have a hugh authority, I just know some and people asked for an opinion, like *******s, everyone has one. No I don't have my license but I've driven quite a few cars, more than what some have driven in their time of having their license.

Ok, Why do you only say you would get the S55 and S600? Perfomance? rYes, and image. The S500 has better ride (by smoother) because of the lack of ABC and the avalibility of Airmatic.

According to you the Car is still a POS. Did I say that directly? I hope not, sorry if I did because I don't think that it's a POS.

So your saying the performance would make up for its not so reliable quirks? Well If you want performance take a look at the E55.There's quite a difference between a E55 and a S55, sure they are near the same engine, but the level of class that comes with a W220 is unparralled by a W211.

Its funny how you change your mind about the S class when there is a few more horses involved.Few isn't 302 vs 500ish. That's like another Honda

300 hp is good enough for me although i dont mind a few more. I would probably use maybe 50%(not even) of that during daily driving. You probably won't use most of your horsepower, it's torque that is a bigger influence when accelerating and things like that. And 300 is plenty enough for me too, that's the the LS430 isn't a bad car.

The ride on the S class is good balance between luxury and some Road. Ride quality is very good from most people that I know who drive it. the previous W140 was bashed on because of the boatlike, cloudy feel(isnt this what the LS430 is now?). So benz changed that with the 220 making it a better balanced overall car. I dont know about the LS430 about its feel as i never driven it or been inside the thing. Bit even Lexus will most like make there LS more sportier when the next model comes out. Just like MB did with the 220.I think your perfectly right in saying the W220 is a balance between road feel and ride quality, the LS430 isn't a boatlike ride. It's cloudy but it's still snappy when you want it to be. Lexus probably won't make the ride of it's top-end sedan sportier however, they did change the front bumper a little for the 04 to make it *sportier* but not very many ride changes. Sure they went to 18" (I'm pretty sure stock) but the ride is still Lexus smooth. Just try a test drive once of a LS430 or 400 and tell me what you think. Then you'll see why I really get irritated when people knock off the LS430 as not even competition. In all means, I have no problem with a S600/55 sitting in my garage, but when people say that an S430 or 500 isn't even comparable to the LS430, that's when they've crossed the line

So if your wise as you say you are you still wouldnt buy a S class regardless if its an S430 or S600. Since its not supposedly at the level of lexus reliablity, interior, ride quality, dealer serviceOh I'd love to have a S600, S430 I wouldn't get because a couple reasons. The LS430 seems a much better buy and the 500 it puts it even and it's like tug-o-war. The 55 I'm not so fond for because of the non-availability of gushes of torque when for a few K more I can get a 600. Dealer service around here for Mercedes is horrible, sure they take the car (an hour after appointment) and give us a Mercedes rental (C230 sedan, after another hour wait) and give us a nice place to sit but it doesn't come near the Lexus service where our car is out of warrenty but we still drop it off in five seconds, and get the keys to another LS430 on the spot. Service? No charge even though it's out of warrenty. The LS400 is nine years old, and that's the only reason it's been in the shop, the R230 is less then two years and it's been at the dealer so many times it's sick. Maybe it's because it's a new car but the W463 we have (even though it's supposed to be a rock) goes once every month. So not cool.

You would be even wiser buying S600 since that thing would in the shop twice as much as a regular S500 right? But no since its an S600 it doesnt matter to you. Even though supposedly the LS430 will be trouble free and have a slightly better ride than the S600 for half the cost.I haven't personally owned a V12 but IIRC someone (I think MercManic) said that the complexity and reliability issues with V12's were a myth. So it shouldn't be in the shop AS much as it's perceived as. Also don't forget the 600 has ABC, that's a much stiffer ride than the Airmatic, and even more so the Lexus ride. LS430 doesn't have a V12 either that comes with more than 500lb/ft torque

I hope you are seeing my point here. There is reason why I choose an S500 over an LS430 where as you would choose a S600 over a LS430 even though the ride, dealership service, and Reliablity is supposedly better with the toyota.I see where your coming from, the 55 and 600 pose are hard contenders and almost out of Lexus' leauge. The 500 though isn't and I can see where your coming from, it's just I think that the LS430 is a excellent choice for people that arne't looking for that Tri-Star on the hood.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:56 AM

The ride thing seems subjective to you I guess, but on the norm most (most) people agree the LS430 ride is much smoother than compared to the S500. Yeah your right, the W220 looks better than the LS430. I got nothing to argue there, but on the big Toyota, so this Toyota is giving the Big Body grief? That either says the Toyota is awesome, or the Benz is getting worse.. And I'm not talking like I have a hugh authority, I just know some and people asked for an opinion, like *******s, everyone has one.
The LS430's suspension is too soft and I dont like the way it looks so for me its not an option, who cares if its cheaper... its not a good deal if i dont like the car.

No I don't have my license but I've driven quite a few cars, more than what some have driven in their time of having their license.
woah big man... dont worry ive driven everything from porsche to mercedes to bentley to bmw etc.... so i have a lot to compare with
Old 12-04-2003, 06:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by Caliz_Finest
The LS430's suspension is too soft and I dont like the way it looks so for me its not an option, who cares if its cheaper... its not a good deal if i dont like the car.
Then you got it, for you the LS430 is ruled out as an option because you don't like the ride, same with looks.

woah big man... dont worry ive driven everything from porsche to mercedes to bentley to bmw etc.... so i have a lot to compare with
I didn't mean to come off arrogant, I was just saying, like you, I also can compare cars without sounding like I don't know what I'm trying to talk about. On a side note, how does the Bentley ride feel like? I've never drove one or been driven in one.
Forgot to add, I respect you for actually even having a reason not to like the LS430, at least you just don't knock it out before we're even started.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:22 AM

I didn't mean to come off arrogant
Ok, sorry bout that.

Forgot to add, I respect you for actually even having a reason not to like the LS430, at least you just don't knock it out before we're even started.
Its not that I don't like the car, its just that for the money I dunno about it. It even applies to the 745, I like the way it drives but I dont like how it looks so I wont buy it.

btw Bentleys have a nice ride, dunno how to explain it... feels heavier than a mercedes and has stiffer suspension.

I used to drive a Brooklands every once in a while then we got a green label arnage, and i drove the arnage like once. my dad never let me touch it, then the stupid thing actually broke down on the freeway my dad was infuriated... it was funny.

Last edited by Caliz_Finest; 12-05-2003 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:55 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 GLE 450
if you havent driven the lexus then what qualifies you to talk about its ride? I get the feeling that a lot of posters here are like the readers of car mags who are always quick to talk about cars they will/have never own or even drive. the lexus IS WITHOUT QUESTION a better built car than the s class. it is also without question a much more reliable car. dammit there is something wrong when mb finishes TWENTY SIXTH in overall reliability. I sure as hell didnt buy mine to have be relegated to the level of american crap in that regard. I lusted after the s class and searched for every one I could find on my dealers lot when I went in for service but now reality has set in. what a person buys is whatever they want. but to be concerned with what the car says about you shows a lack of security and seems like something you should have gotten over by high school. buying a car to signify your status or to make a statement? thats ****ing PATHETIC. speaking just for myself the ls 430 while CLEARLY derivative of the s class is a better buy because its a better all around car. you can call it toyota all you want as it drives past your garaged status symbol. again.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by digital_b
if you havent driven the lexus then what qualifies you to talk about its ride? I get the feeling that a lot of posters here are like the readers of car mags who are always quick to talk about cars they will/have never own or even drive. the lexus IS WITHOUT QUESTION a better built car than the s class. it is also without question a much more reliable car. dammit there is something wrong when mb finishes TWENTY SIXTH in overall reliability. I sure as hell didnt buy mine to have be relegated to the level of american crap in that regard. I lusted after the s class and searched for every one I could find on my dealers lot when I went in for service but now reality has set in. what a person buys is whatever they want. but to be concerned with what the car says about you shows a lack of security and seems like something you should have gotten over by high school. buying a car to signify your status or to make a statement? thats ****ing PATHETIC. speaking just for myself the ls 430 while CLEARLY derivative of the s class is a better buy because its a better all around car. you can call it toyota all you want as it drives past your garaged status symbol. again.
You can say what you want, but image is everything at this price level. Do you really think that customer who has $80k to blow on a car is going to be doing comparative analysis on reliability to make a decision? The Lexus may be a better made car, a more reliable car, but none of that matters because the Lexus brand lacks what people are looking for when they buy a MB: originality, uniqueness, style, technology, gagetry, etc. The Lexus will always appear to be the "wannabe" as long as they stay in the shadows of MB. For crying out loud, how is it that their flagship model is rehash of an old MB design? Your arguments are sound practical arguments against MB, but again, when you enter this league, practicality is out of the question. You can deny it all you want, but people want to be noticed. Some things don't change after high school.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
I personally think the new audi A8 is by far the classiest of the lot, inside and out, irrespective of quality, gadgets, and resale value...
if you haven't seen one, go check it out at your audi dealer, they are NICE
I'm sure its performance and confort aren't lacking either....
Old 01-08-2004, 11:28 PM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
Originally posted by internet_mafia
You can deny it all you want, but people want to be noticed.
To be noticed!? Are you kidding me? In my 8 mile travel to work once I have counted 10 S classes. All I can say is I don't think the S class is as exclusive as it was intended to be.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by UCIMBZ
To be noticed!? Are you kidding me? In my 8 mile travel to work once I have counted 10 S classes. All I can say is I don't think the S class is as exclusive as it was intended to be.
The fact that you see 10 S classes during your 8 minutes of travel only proves my point. Exclusiveness is another thread to itself...
Old 01-09-2004, 02:39 AM

2021 GLE 450
exclusivity, which is the word youre looking for isnt what people buy benzes for. those people would buy maybach or bentley or royce. and as for wanting to be noticed, only idiots want to be noticed, idiots in this case being defined as people who lack confidence and self assuredness. shallow idiots of course want to be noticed. its part and parcel of being shallow. thats an issue which has NOTHING to do with cars. its internal. maturity has something to do with it too. car people WILL notice the CAR but the people driving it DO NOT understand that the car they are driving will be noticed by car people REGARDLESS of who is driving it.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by digital_b
exclusivity, which is the word youre looking for isnt what people buy benzes for. those people would buy maybach or bentley or royce. and as for wanting to be noticed, only idiots want to be noticed, idiots in this case being defined as people who lack confidence and self assuredness. shallow idiots of course want to be noticed. its part and parcel of being shallow. thats an issue which has NOTHING to do with cars. its internal. maturity has something to do with it too. car people WILL notice the CAR but the people driving it DO NOT understand that the car they are driving will be noticed by car people REGARDLESS of who is driving it.
Your opinion is your opinion. I never said that people buy benzes for exclusiveness, you did. Whats really funny is how you are angered by my post. But the bottom line is this: People buy benzes because they are "cool", "stylish", "safe" automobiles that are status symbols. It has already been posted to death that benzes aren't reliable, so image and prestige must be the reasons why benzes are the top choice among popular culture. This superficiality only proves my original point that some things do not change after high school.

Last edited by internet_mafia; 01-09-2004 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:52 PM

2021 GLE 450
what an utterly idiotic and ignorant comment. mb would sell a million s classes if they could. and wannabe is certainly the response of someone whos maturity level has not progressed past high school. people buy ls 430s for many reasons. none of them is because they are wannabes. if someone is stupid enough to think that the label is what matters even when the label represents faded glory thats fine for them. but when the 'standard' is shown to be not what is used to be it is no longer the standard. stop being blinded by the 3 pointed star and open your eyes to the truth. or better yet, ask some mb dealer employees why their cars are being dumped for lexus and other marques. its embarassing for benz owners to be told that the cars they lust after and own simply are not what you think they are. no one wanted to buy an s class more than I did. the current car is not even as good as the previous generation which is why mb is hurrying to revise this model. regardless, as I have said in the past, luxury isnt luxury because of what you pay for it. and it certainly isnt luxurious when its in the garage being worked on. again.

Last edited by digital_b; 01-14-2004 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:28 PM

Lexus GS 450h
Post of the month.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:21 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hey guys,

i didn't read all of the posts but it pretty much seems to be the usual battle....LS 430 vs the S430 or S500...etc.

i enjoy these debates but.....the more Benz fans engage in defending a truly superior automobile(S class) with the LS430. the more we actually diminish what a truly fine automobile the S class is and in return elevate an unworthy competitor. the LS430 is one model away from being stomped on by Infiniti. think about it....Lexus has not only has to try and catch up to MB but it has to worry about competition from within it's own country of orgin.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
LS430 is a well built,very reliable,very comfortable tool to transport people from A to B.
It is a very good appliance,like Subzero or Viking,but it is not an "Automobile" in a "Drivers" sense.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:37 AM

2003 - S430, 2003 - 911 C2, 2004 - E320, 2006 - Range Rover Sport HSE
All of the cars being mentioned (S, LS, A8, 7...) are nice - it just comes down to ones own personal opinion and choice.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Originally posted by 5thbenz@35
All of the cars being mentioned (S, LS, A8, 7...) are nice - it just comes down to ones own personal opinion and choice.
well put.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:50 PM

I've driven a new XJR...WOW!

It was FAST!

Awesome brakes! Great fit/finish. Supple leather, plenty of room, lots of style esp. with the optional 20 inch BBS wheels though I'd rather have the 19 inch wheels because I like to see some of the tire.

All that car for around $75,000 with no options.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the Mercedes S-class still the kind of the ring?