S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600
View Poll Results: After reading the article do you agree or disagree with this opinion about the S-clas
Yes
53.75%
No
35.00%
Unsure
7.50%
Maybe
3.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Is the Mercedes S-class still the kind of the ring?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by internet_mafia
You can say what you want, but image is everything at this price level. Do you really think that customer who has $80k to blow on a car is going to be doing comparative analysis on reliability to make a decision?
Woah! Slow down.

How do you think a person who has $80K to blow comes up with $80K in the first place?
Old 01-29-2004, 12:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Well since I plan to be buying in the S Class A8 LS430 747LI (YEAH RIGHT) range cuz of my biz, I choose the S for these reasons:
Name
Quality
Features
Style
Safety
Room

When you have money to blow, I dont think about it, unlike my parents. I just go for what I want, what makes me happy, and just seein an S go down the street, be it a 430 or a AMG or 600 I get really excited.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:30 AM

I yawn when I see an S class. Except for perhaps the $100,000+ S55 AMG.

It is not what it used to be. It is very common. It L.A., they are as common as taxi cabs.

The sound/feel when you shut the door of today's S class is nothing compared to the previous S class, the W124, the W123, etc. Too much technology.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by XenonES3
Woah! Slow down.

How do you think a person who has $80K to blow comes up with $80K in the first place?
Please elaborate for me how acquiring the cash is relevant to spending it? People buy what makes them happy, not necessarily what is *good* for them. Again, if we are talking about $80k+ cars, its going to be more of an emotional decision than an analytical one. The Lexus (pretender) may be more reliable and more practical than the MB, but if the S class excites you more than the LS, then the reliability issues don't matter anymore.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by westsidewagon
I yawn when I see an S class. Except for perhaps the $100,000+ S55 AMG.

It is not what it used to be. It is very common. It L.A., they are as common as taxi cabs.

The sound/feel when you shut the door of today's S class is nothing compared to the previous S class, the W124, the W123, etc. Too much technology.
Nothing is exclusive if its mass produced and affordable. Blame it on leasing and tax laws, not MB. If you want to be exclusive, buy a Maybach/Rolls/Bentley. I don't concern myself anymore about what everyone else is driving.

The W140 was a far better made car than the W220 but it costed too much (actually, more than estimated) to build, eating away at the projected profits. They sold the W140's at a near loss. MB's only choice was to scale back on the materials used in the W220. We shall see though what compromises they make with the next generation S.

Last edited by internet_mafia; 01-29-2004 at 02:36 AM.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:36 PM

I don't care about what everyone else is driving either. If I were to get a car that is common, I'd try to get a rare or special-ordered color for the car.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:27 PM
Almost a Member!

C230 Kompressor Sedan
760iL SHOULD BOSS DOWN....

it all comes down to driving a car on your way to being a made man...or drive the benz which has you as a made man...PLUS

with the new edition S-Class they are resizing it to be much more roomier than the piece of **** 760il....

id take a S7.4 renntech anyday over the top lux sadan from bmw...

when people ask you, all it really comes down to is do you drive a benz or not...the rest is irrevelant...

this is what happens when you have those bmw thoughts thought up....
Old 01-29-2004, 09:35 PM
Guest0001

Re: 760iL SHOULD BOSS DOWN....

Originally posted by sleepygeneral
it all comes down to driving a car on your way to being a made man...or drive the benz which has you as a made man...PLUS

with the new edition S-Class they are resizing it to be much more roomier than the piece of **** 760il....

id take a S7.4 renntech anyday over the top lux sadan from bmw...

when people ask you, all it really comes down to is do you drive a benz or not...the rest is irrevelant...

this is what happens when you have those bmw thoughts thought up....
Old 01-29-2004, 09:46 PM

So are all BMWs trash?

The previous BMW 5 series WAS and still is a better car than the previous E class.

Did MB make the original sport sedan?

No

BMW did with the 2002 and the "Neu Klasse"

Both BMW and MB make great cars.

It is just thank BMWs are more sporting and fun to drive.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:50 PM
Guest0001

So are all BMWs trash?

The previous BMW 5 series WAS and still is a better car than the previous E class.

Did MB make the original sport sedan?

No

BMW did with the 2002 and the "Neu Klasse"

Both BMW and MB make great cars.

It is just thank BMWs are more sporting and fun to drive.
The term "better car" is subjective

We are not saying they are trash! But the new ones sure are :o

Its just a subjective opinion of course and that cant be changed.

I believe in publics eye a Mercedes-Benz is higher in ranking then BMW though.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:56 PM

The current 3 Series is the best sport sedan. The G35 is the best one for the money.

I've yet to see a comparo of a current C Class outscoring a current 3 Series.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:00 PM
Guest0001

The current 3 Series is the best sport sedan. The G35 is the best one for the money.

I've yet to see a comparo of a current C Class outscoring a current 3 Series.
Allright there buddy, We are not talking about the 3 Series or the G35 or the C-Class.

If you are bringing up this topic because of the car I drive then PM and I Will give you a full Analysis of why I chose my car over the competetion
Old 01-29-2004, 10:28 PM

MB will always be the "king of the ring" as long as they continue to set trends and introduce new technologies for the rest of the industry to implement. Reliability of course will be the cost of being a pioneer, but this is why MB is regarded as the industry leader. Anybody can make improvements to an existing platform, but its much more difficult to be the originator. What I especially favor about MB is thier designs. The interior alone in the S class makes the other cars look dated. MB consistently produces beautiful cars that are appealing from all angles.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:09 PM
Guest0001

Originally posted by internet_mafia
MB will always be the "king of the ring" as long as they continue to set trends and introduce new technologies for the rest of the industry to implement. Reliability of course will be the cost of being a pioneer, but this is why MB is regarded as the industry leader. Anybody can make improvements to an existing platform, but its much more difficult to be the originator. What I especially favor about MB is thier designs. The interior alone in the S class makes the other cars look dated. MB consistently produces beautiful cars that are appealing from all angles.
Seriously, the looks and status alone of the S500 is enough for me to purchase it!