Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430 2002
AIRMATIC Relay not energizing

AIRMATIC Relay not energizing, Replaced Relay with new Hella Relay

Dashboard displays AIRMATIC VISIT WORKSHOP

The problem is well known and addressed numerous times in this forums

The AIRMATIC Compressor unit (identified as A9/1, m1 in the attached Wiring diagram) is not working due to no 12V supplied to the compressor

Here is what I have checked with Raise button Pressed

1)Compressor is working if I apply 12V to compressor
2)On the A9/1, y1 ,which is AIRMATIC Pressure Reduction Valve, there is 12 Volts on one PIN, nothing on other PIN
3)On the Relay - 12V on PIN 87
4) On the Relay - 8.5V on PIN 86
5)40A ,f32 fuse is OK

I took it to the dealer , who quoted a repair bill for nearly $2000 to replace the following

1)AIRMATIC Compressor
2)Wire harness
3) Level control valve unit

I simply don't have any faith in the dealer to fix/replace the required parts, instead they are trying to replace the most expensive and or unnecessary parts

I believe that it could be that compressor had gone faulty or pump pressure information to AIRMATIC CONTROL UNIT is missing , this is evident with lack of Voltage on 2nd Pin On the A9/1, y1

The compressor is replaced 2 years ago with strut Kit applied for

Can you help me to find out why the Relay is not energizing?

I have also tried resetting by disconnecting the Battery and resetting all fault codes

Thanks
Peter
2002,S430, Toronto ,Canada
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wiring_AIRMATIC_CU.pdf (588.2 KB, 756 views)
Old 03-17-2013, 11:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S600
I wish I could help with your dilemma but I am not knowledgable enough with the Airmatic. However, I would like to second your intuition about the dealer's fidelity and ability. If you can get the compressor to work by directly applying 12v to it then why would it need replacing. It has to be some relay somewhere, right? And OF COURSE the dealer would like to just start replacing things in the hope that their fix will solve the problem.

I just went through a similar situation with the local dealer. My electronic ignition system (EIS) was defective. I had it towed to the dealer and TOLD THEM THAT THE EIS WAS DEFECTIVE. Of course they told me they could not diagnose the issue unless I had a second/known good key. I told them it did not need a second key but they insisted that they had to diagnose the issue. I figured I should have a second key anyways (bought it used with only one) so I had them make the key. Then they told me it needed the EIS (really? ) so I had them replace it. They came back and said that did not fix the problem. Now they wanted to replace the shifter lever. I was perplexed as I KNEW the issue was the EIS and I told them so. They could not get the car to turn over so I had them go ahead with the shifter lever. (Bear in mind, each step of the way requires them to order the part from their warehouse in SF or Texas and takes 2-5 days at each step in the process) Of course the shifter lever did not solve the issue either. I finally went down there after a month of them running up the bill with useless/unnecessary repairs and had a long talk with the service manager. Come to find out they had been using the serial # from my previous S600 to order the keys/EIS. Once they ordered the parts for the right car they found out that the EIS was bad. They magnanimously offered not to charge me for all the unneeded repairs I had incurred.

I will not be returning to that dealer anytime soon. Good luck with your Airmatic. I am sure there is something much easier and less expensive to fix than the recommendations from the dealer.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
Just out of curiosity have you you diagnosed the relay by temporarily bypassing and wiring it 12v at the relay junction point? That will at least tell you if it's a bad relay or not and or if the wiring is bad from the relay to the pump which then i would just run a new wire myself. After that I would grab a volt meter and start back tracking where the power is getting lost at.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:56 AM

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
MB 2003 S600. Volvo 2003 XC70.
Originally Posted by S600Keith
...Come to find out they had been using the serial # from my previous S600 to order the keys/EIS.
Poor Keith, story keep coming.

If they keep replacing parts base on wrong VIN you will soon have new engine and trany,
But how could they imagine a guy have a 2nd S600,

Good luck to op.

Howard
Old 03-18-2013, 11:47 AM

2002 S430
Trying yet another new relay may help (it did for me).
Hella, Hella, but it made in China, even the new ones are not all 100% reliable
Old 03-18-2013, 09:57 PM

S430 2002
Hi S600Keith
Compressor can still be faulty , just because it's making noise (like motor on) doesn't mean it's working
it could be that it's not producing enough power
as for the dealers, what can I say, most of these dealers are same, they lie/cheat/mislead and a typical car sales men
and the Technicians are utter incompetent bunch or they deliberately change unnecessary part and over price for profit
I have made a formal complain to the General Manager , he just don't care and seems to be supporting the Service guys
as far as they are concern that these are known problems and they are covering their back
Go and figure this, $989.99 for compressor from Service department, $503.99 from parts dept , just next door and 10ft away from the service dept
When I ask them ,if I could buy the parts from their parts depart and give it to service depart, they said no , apparently , they only fit parts that they supply from service dept
both Service Dept and Part Dept are same company and same dealer

Hi vmystikilv
Yes by passing the high power 12V (40A) works but I haven't applied low power 12V to the pin 86 , because , it's already at 8.5V and It could end up damaging the AIRMATIC CONTROL UNIT if I am not careful
I am going to disconnect the wire and see if I get 12 Volts coming out from ACU
Hi trombone
I did try another Relay by pulling one from the driver side fuse box and no luck
Old 05-26-2014, 12:56 PM

2006 cls500
Did you ever find a fix for this problem?? im currently having the same issuw.