S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Front Tire feathering/cupping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 S55 & 97 T88h Supra
Front Tire feathering/cupping

Hoping you guys can help with your opinion and thoughts. Background on my w220: I had cupping feathering issues and brought in my car to my independent and he determined I'd need to replace my ball joints. We did so and changed out the control arms and bushings as well. Replaced all 4 of my tires and did an alognmemt. 500 miles later, this is what's happening to the front tires again. Any thoughts? Is this a suspension issue or alignment? The uneven wear is on the inside and outside of my driver side and only on the inside on the passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails Front Tire feathering/cupping-image.jpg  
Old 07-27-2013, 06:24 PM

2006 S55 & 97 T88h Supra
Another photo
Attached Thumbnails Front Tire feathering/cupping-image.jpg  
Old 07-27-2013, 06:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
Are they Goodyear tires?

My father in law (Mercedes eClass) had issues with cupping and feathering with Goodyears. He changed to Michelin and didn't have an issue after that.

I did have one treadwear issue on my SClass, which was a result of bad alignment job from my Mercedes dealer. I installed new Continental extremecontact dw's, had the car aligned at the same time. Shortly after brought it into another garage for servicing and they discovered wear on the inner front tires. I replaced the tires, had the alignment corrected and it has been fine ever since. Was very dissappointed with the Mercedes Dealer alignment. My new garage showed me the before and after and it was significantly off. I hadn't done enough driving or hit any pot holes, etc that it would lead me to believe it was anything but a bad alignment job by the original dealership.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:05 PM

2006 S55 & 97 T88h Supra
Did your wear pattern look similar? I had Michelin pilot Sports and still had this issue in the past. Didn't matter if it was michelins, falkens, hankooks etc. So I'm
Pretty convinced its not related to tires. 2 sets of wheels and 4 sets of tires so far
Old 07-27-2013, 07:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
My father inlaws Goodyears were almost exactly like you've described. Mine was a more consistent, even wear pattern on the inside of both front tires. I didn't have the wear pattern on both inside and outside like yours have. That is odd, maybe worth getting the alignment checked again?