S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

ESM fixed itself?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220
ESM fixed itself?

Sup guys, new to the board. Anyways..long story short, about 2-3 months ago I left my sunroof tilted during a storm. Got in the next day and car was in limp mode. ESP,BAS, and airmatic light came on and winter/summer indicator was off. For a good while, the car NEVER started, and when I was a driving one day to a Indy shop, my instrument cluster went crazy. I then towed it to another Indy cause the car wouldn't start. Now I finally found out that the culprit was the ESM, or gear selector. The car sat at the Indy shop for about two months, and I finally picked her back up this week. Instead of replacing the esm, I just paid the shop to tell me what was wrong with the car. To avoid a tow bill, I attempted to start the car, and what do you know, it starts up every single time now without hesitation, and my instrument cluster isn't acting up. Basically now the car is fine, except for the fact that its still in limp mode. I believe that the esm dried out over the past two months, especially in dry Tennessee weather. I brought the car home and started cleaning out the esm to take out all the moisture, if any left over at all. Car is still throwing a p0600, but we all know that a regular scanner can't clear mercedes engine and transmission codes. Do you guys think I should attempt to take it to a shop that can clear mercedes codes? I'm having high hopes that the esm fixed itself and I just need to erase the fault codes to get out of limp mode..
Old 08-11-2013, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Before you try clearing the codes you might want to try and find someone with a Star diagnostics program to tell you what is really wrong with it.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:24 AM

2002 S430
Your guess is as good as anyone's, but it is quite possible that the selector dried up and normal functions returned.

It has been an experience of many people, that liquid spilled over the center console/ shifter wreaks havoc in the electronic system.
That is why it is very risky to use the cup holder near to it.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:49 PM

W220
Ibeforreal, we already pin pointed the problem being the esm. But the good news is that after clearing all codes, the car is now out of limp mode and runs fine.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Great to hear.