S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Daft question de jour: What lightbulbs (for tail lights) do you use?

Old 09-03-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Mercedes obviously!
Daft question de jour: What lightbulbs (for tail lights) do you use?

I'm always here with dumb questions!

A few months ago my left rear indicator light bulb went so I just went to an Autozone place and bought the Sylvania ones that were listed in the large reference book. Three months later and that bulb goes so I put another one in, the next one only lasts two weeks! At this rate I'll be stopping midway through my 2 mile commute to change lightbulbs!

I don't know if it's the Sylvania lightbulbs that are the issue or is there's some other reason the car is eating through this particular bulb so quickly. In the almost 4yrs I've had the car it's the only bulb to have gone and now it's three times gone!
Old 09-03-2013, 01:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
I use the blister-packed bulbs (probably Sylvania) found at any corner auto parts store. A bulb lasts me years, and years... That said, your issue may not be a bulb going bad as much as a poor socket connection holding the bulb. Look of corrosion - especially in button contact at the base of the socket. When inserting a replacement bulb, it should be quite snug; no looseness.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 09-04-2013, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Facelift GLC43
Have the same exact problem on the right side. Have replaced the bulb 3-4 times in the last year. Tried to take off corrosion on the socket but still no go... Now sometimes my bulb lights up and sometimes it don't... If you ever find a solution please let me know!
Old 09-09-2013, 10:15 AM

A Mercedes obviously!
The left light (the one I've replaced) does feel a little more wiggly than the right one but not by much and tightening as much as possible makes no difference.

It's a touch frustrating because I've got my state inspection before the end of the month and that'd be a guaranteed fail, no doubt. I'll probably put a new bulb in the day of and hope it holds
Old 09-10-2013, 06:11 AM

2006 S430 4Matic
I had the same problem going through bulbs. I purchased a new socket for the bulb from my MB parts supplier and the problem went away. Bulbs really hate loose connections. In my case there was corrosion on the contact that mates with the tail light.