S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Calling All W220 Sunroof Experts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00 S500
Calling All W220 Sunroof Experts

Recently I used the wrong grease on my 2000 S500 W220 Sunroof. I misunderstood using the grease to clean and then use different fluid to lubricate. Well during this it began to seize and at some point while I was helping the sunroof close and open (thinking I was helping lubricate it), it twisted off track somehow. I was able to get it back on track and working properly but in the mean time something must of broke internally in the front only! The reason I think this is isolated to the front is when the sunroof goes into tilt mode and I keep holding the button the sunroof motor keeps running. But if I open the sunroof and hold the button after it maxes to the rear the motor recognizes it maxed out and does the soft 'click'. So the sunroofs 'stopper' or whatever it uses to recognize to stop is no longer functioning in the front of the sunroof.
So my question is what in the sunroof senses when to stop and communicates that to the sunroof motor. The cables? Some plastic stopper?

Yes I've done the Express reset, pulled the fuse to reset, and pulled battery for reset. Any ideas?? Thanks
Old 04-09-2014, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
Sounds like your roof may have gotten out of sync and needs to be reprogrammed.

Here is a couple of things you might try. First, if you have a key that opens all the doors and windows use that process. This is how it works. With the roof and windows closed (in your case as far as it will close) hold the button on your key fob that unlocks the car. DO NOT RELEASE THE BUTTON UNTIL ALL OF THE WINDOWS AND ROOF HAVE COMPLETELY OPENED.

After they all have completely opened now hold down the button on the key fob that is used to lock the car. Same as above, DO NOT RELEASE THE BUTTON UNTIL THE WINDOWS AND ROOF ARE COMPLETELY CLOSED.

If that doesn't work try tilting the roof all the way up and holding the button for about 10 seconds. Now instead of tilting the window down just push the button forward to close the roof. If everything is calibrated correctly, it should close the roof all the way. IF not then you have a different problem.

Last edited by ibeforreal; 04-09-2014 at 12:02 AM. Reason: error
Old 04-09-2014, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
This might be a bit late for you but here is a good tutorial on how to lubricate your sunroof. I use the Mobil1 synthetic grease on mine.