S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

air bag suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
air bag suspension

has anyone ever try or know if u can use the stock bag but run everything else aftermarket?
Old 05-03-2014, 10:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
Their was an S class at a shop I hang out at. They manage to bypass the valve block and pump and put separate equipment in. In the Ash tray console they had manual switches for each wheel to raise and lower. It was.... Interesting to see but it did have the original airmatic struts...
Old 05-07-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
Originally Posted by vmystikilv
Their was an S class at a shop I hang out at. They manage to bypass the valve block and pump and put separate equipment in. In the Ash tray console they had manual switches for each wheel to raise and lower. It was.... Interesting to see but it did have the original airmatic struts...
You could, you probably would want to retain the height sensors and the electronics on each strut, that way you will not see strange airmatic service errors pop up. From there I suppose you could take the fuse and/or relay out for the air pump. But if the original tank goes below a certain pressure, then an error will appear. The whole sensor setup is closed loop, if you remove something the service warning will appear. The Arnott company has some module that you hook up if you change out the airmatic struts for regular struts/springs, but I heard they will not sell the module by itself. The module bypasses all dash errors.

That being said, once the air lines are disconnected from each strut, you can then go with any type of air management system, such as, AirRide brand etc...

The stock airmatic struts have a huge amount of range, they can compress very short and be extended (probably over extented) to 4 inches higher than the stock height. But they were not designed to be inflated and deflated over this large range continuously.

That being said, you can see my solution if want:

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ml#post5863183

Mine is not perfect either, but allows me to adjust the height on the fly.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 483 Likes on 427 Posts
Mercedes
I so wish someone would come out with a manual control
System that lets us use all the factory equipment and manual switches for the full range of adjustment to slam the car