S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Cruise control quit working (temporarily)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S500, 2008 smart fortwo, 2001 SLK320 6-spd (Father's car)
Cruise control quit working (temporarily)

The other day on my way home from work, at some point I cancelled the cruise, and when I attempted to resume... nothing... no indicator of set speed, no dashes... nothing. No fault indication (No error messages).

I continued home using my foot, and the next day (key cycle), all was back to normal, and no problems since (six trips).

Clearly (in my mind at least) powering off the ECM and back on resolved the problem. Has anyone else encountered this? Any ideas what I may be in for if it starts acting up again?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
I had this happen once as well

It was a couple of years ago the exact scenario you experienced. It's never happened again since. I do find every once in a while various components act up but randomly and never for long. For example, once in a while my radio won't show the station on the screen. Turn the car off, start it again and all is fine.

I've read in other threads these cars are very sensitive to battery level. I had a few recurring codes last summer, although it was starting well and wasn't having any other issues a couple of members suggested I change the battery, which I did and haven't had any similar trouble since.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
I have had a couple of interesting issues with mine and don't know if it is designed that way. Since my car has distronic I have noticed that if it starts raining and the wipers come on the cruise control will automatically disengage and a message appears on the screen "distronic disengaged". Rather interesting.