S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

a/c problem, door problem, engine problem, and a rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2014 | 01:39 PM

1979 300CD
a/c problem, door problem, engine problem, and a rattle

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the Mercedes world. I recently acquired a 2005 S500 and acquired some problems along with it.

1. The air from the a/c or heater only blows intermittently. Sometimes i'll start the car and even though the climate control is on, and showing that the fan is on high. It blows no air. This problem comes and goes. The climate control only shows one error code which is related to the communication can bus to the passenger side door.

2. The passenger side door (also intermittently) does nothing. I have no power mirror, no power window, no power seat, no heated seat, etc. etc. I think it might be the door control module, but I have taken the old one apart and it still looks good (doesn't look like anything is burnt on the board).

3. Not always but usually when you start the motor it cranks and cranks and cranks before it finally starts. Once its running its perfect. I tried replacing the crank position sensor, but that made no difference. I also tried cleaning the MAF, but that also didn't change anything. Any ideas what this could be?

4. Finally, I have a rattle that you hear going over bumps in what sounds like the front right of the car. I tried everything and can't find anything loose. I even replaced the lower ball joint (rear one) and that made no difference. Finally, i looked at the driver side and noticed that the ball joint that connects the strut to the lower control arm is bad. I have ordered a new control arm but I don't think that will fix my issue of the noise because it sounds like its coming from the front right.

More issues exist but these are the most important. The door locks don't work because the vacuum / pressure pump in the back is broken (new one is on its way). the vehicle says that pre-save is unavailable. Also the SRS system is inactive "drive to workshop" in red.

Thanks in advance for any help! I could really use it!

The dealership had a "special" on diagnostics for 99 dollars. I went to take the car this morning. After getting into an argument with the guy, i left with the car because he wanted (now) 129.99 for a diagnostic and that was PER problem so i was well over 500 for JUST diagnostics. I'm sure then they were going to tell me to replace a bunch of stuff.