S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

automatic steering wheel problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 S500 W220
automatic steering wheel problems

Hey everybody, I have a really weird problem and no clue how to fix it. Maybe someone got some ideas.

I'm driving a 2001 S500.

That's how it should be normally: You turn off your car and remove the key. The steering wheel automatically goes in the upper position for more space when you want to leave your car. Right? OK...

What my car does: I turn the ignition off, remove the key, steering wheel goes in upper position. But it won't stop at it normal "upper position", so that means the steering wheel assembly is pushing my dashboard somewhere between 0.5-1 inch up. This happens with a lot of cracking noises from the dashboard and the only way to stop it is to push the lever down for the steering wheel adjustment. When I get back into my car, the car automatically wants to bring the steering wheel in tho "upper position" for easier access. If I don't push the lever down, it goes all the way up, and 0.5-1 inch higher and lifts the dashboard.
The weird part is, when I'm sitting in my car and lift the steering wheel with the lever it only goes as high as it is supposed to do and leaves a gap of 1/8 of an inch between the cover and the dashboard (I guess the way it looks, it not supposed to go higher than that).

So does anyone have a clue why I can't bring it "manually" that high, but automatically it lifts the dashboard? The car is doing this, since I bought it a few month ago and I'm trying to fix the car step by step. I'm just getting tired of it to push the lever every time I get in or out of the car and when someone else is driving it, they usually forget it till it's too late.

Thanks in advance and I hope someone can help me.

Chris
Old 07-09-2014, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Chris, thats odd.

I would disable the entry/exit position through the instrument cluster for the time being until you figure it out.

To be honest, I turned that off years ago because I really don't need it.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
I agree. Turn the thing off. I'm 6'5" tall and don't need mine going up and down.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S63
it needs to be normalized. Instructions are in your operators manual and also its shown in this link: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ml#post2216730 read post #14
Old 07-09-2014, 07:30 PM

2001 S500 W220
Thank you guys, I'll check it out as soon as it cooled down a little bit. It's like 108F outside.

"Quadcammer:I would disable the entry/exit position through the instrument cluster for the time being until you figure it out."

Do you mean take the instrument cluster out and unplug it or is there a menu option available?

Sorry, I'm not 100% familiar with the car yet.

But thank you guys again! I'll report back later on.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
menu option under settings
Old 07-09-2014, 10:01 PM

2001 S500 W220
So it's cool enough and I went outside to check the settings...

The followed the orders in the link to set the start/stop points without success. I'll tried it like 20 times. I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong the settings don't work on mine.

I also tried to find the setting/menu... also without luck. Don't get me wrong, I found the settings but I can't turn off the easy exit option. It's just not available. But I found out that I can turn off this function directly on the lever. I just have to turn the tip of the switch 90 degrees to turn it off.

I want to reset the ECM this weekend and disconnect the battery because I have some electrical work to do, so maybe this will reset everything and I'll try to normalize it again.

At the end I don't need this function anyways but I would like to have it in working order, if I need it or not.

Thanks for all the information.

Chris