fiber optic complete, still no sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 S55 AMG
fiber optic loop complete, still no sound

All,

This is regarding my 2006 S55. The PO botched things in the trunk pretty badly but I've got everything (or so I think) straightened out now. Using bypass couplers where necessary, I now have a complete fiber optic loop. I've verified each component and even at the head unit, I'm sending and receiving the signal in the appropriate "channel," i.e. the send side lights up and the fiber line lights up where is should be receiving at the head unit.

My car does the classic no sound, says "System Unavailable," then shuts itself down after 30 seconds or so. I've even tried bypassing the amp but it still shuts itself down. I have a spare amp from a CL500 of the same year and it's not working either.

My specific questions are these:
1. Will a component "pass along" the fiber signal even if defective? I.e. could my amp be bad even though it's "sending" light?
2. I get a tele-aid error msg. on start-up. I read the excellent post about removing the module, but mine doesn't have fiber connections going to it. I'm therefore assuming mine isn't D2B and can't be the problem I'm having with my stereo system.
3. Could this now be a programming issue? I.e. I need to program somewhere the order of components in the fiber optic system? Keep in mind fiber lines were going into incorrect plugs, etc. meaning the input lines were incorrectly installed in output ports.
4. Lastly, if a component of the system is bypassed, does it matter whether or not the electrical plugs are plugged in? One of the harness plugs has a couple broken wires. It goes into the box that says "Becker" on it. I thought it was tele-aid but apparently that module is under the back seat on the passenger side. It's the size of a radio and has 2 antenna wires as well, a black and yellow one.

I appreciate any insight you can offer. This is a great forum and I've been following the group for a long time.

Thanks,

David

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by davidpeden; 09-28-2014 at 02:30 PM.