Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
ABC oil and filter

Hey gang:

For all of you that have the ABC suspension, I would HIGHLY recommend a filter and atleast partial oil change.

For the past two years, my ABC pump after it reached operating temps, would sound like a bag of marbles.

Many here said it was normal, and even my local MB dealer said all is fine.

AS my car is getting older, 04, I decided to do a little maintenance. I changed the filter, cost $35.00, and 4 liters of fluid, $128.00. The fluid change was done by vacuuming it out from the resivour twice as it only holds about 1.6 liters.

Anyway, as soon as I was done, I was rewarded with a extremely quiet pump

Not sure how the filter could have made a difference, but the fresh fluid might have had a hand with it.

Anyway, if you car is a few years old, or over 40K, I would highly recommend this 1 hour procedure.

Good luck, and enjoy
Old 10-04-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
I have an 03 SL55 with the ABC suspension. Bought it 15 months ago with 45K miles, and did a complete purge/replacement of every fluid in the car last winter. I BELIEVE the ABC refresh is very important for longevity of this wonderful and sophisticated system.

Do yourself and your wallet/CC a favor and learn the things about this system that MB didn't tell the dealers!!

For everything you might want to know about the ABC system, here is a link that has at least a dozen topics, with 40 or more postings on some.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230...gence-etc.html

IF you have an ABC suspension, please read the one titled "Importance of ABC Fluid Changes" Lots of important info there.

For those who are technically oriented and want to know HOW this incredibly complex system really works to provide superb handling and ride quality in these cars, go to this fabulous write-up by a new owner whose ABC system failed, and he really dug into the details of the functions of each component:

http://mercedes-abc-drive-carefully.blogspot.com/

Last edited by kittyandgary; 10-04-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
One more note:

Although the power steering fluid is the same as the ABC fluid, there is no common reservoir that has been mentioned on some articles.

Vacuum out the old power steering fluid, and replace with fresh.

Might just save you a few bucks for the price of 1 liter.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 489 Likes on 433 Posts
Mercedes
The power steering has a filter too

Just as important to change that filter as they share the same tandem pump
Old 10-10-2014, 09:21 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
For flushing the PS fluid, you can actually unbolt the PS line from the right front side of the steering rack - let the fluid from the reservoir run out, move the wheels back and forth to clear the fluid in the rack, then bolt it back up again and fill the reservoir. Better purge than just sucking it out of the reservoir. If you put in a new filter, of course that should be done after draining and before filling. After filling the reservoir, run the engine for about 20 seconds while turning the steering wheel in both directions. Turn it off and bring the fluid level up to the correct level in the reservoir.