S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

'05 S500 Won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
'05 S500 Won't start

Hi all - hoping for some help with my car.

I have a 2005 S500 4matic. The car has sit for approximately 2 months being started every few days. Lately, I had to charge the battery, drove it around the block, and the battery light came back on. I called a local Mercedes Benz guy and he said I needed a new battery.

While I was driving it to the repair shop, the blinkers stopped working and it appeared to be driving in a lower gear although it was in drive. The break lights also stopped working and the engine stopped working and I had to coast to the side of the road and get towed. The car wouldn't restart.

After putting a new battery in, it appears there is a power drain somewhere and the new battery was drained. Now the car "cranks" but is not getting spark. It is getting gas.

I have had problems with a leaky sunroof in the past that could be contributing, but the repair man had a Benz engineer look at the car and neither one of them have any clue as to what the problem is. The car's computer isn't showing a record of what the problem could be.

Can anyone help? Has this problem been seen with the cars in this class before? I need my car to get back to college and I'm at a loss as to what to do when the Benz engineer can't even figure it out!!!

Thanks!!
Old 01-22-2015, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
2003 S500 - Toyota Corolla (in the rain)
You might have water in your car that you can't see. You will need to pull up your carpet and the styrofoam under the carpet. You will need to get down to the bare metal to see if water is pooling down there. If there is water don't clean it up until you file an insurance claim (assuming you have comprehensive).

You might also want to check the plastic grill under your hood on the passenger side (USA) version toward the windshield and make sure it is clear of debris. When not clean water will collect in there and eventually makes it's way into the car. One way to test that grill is to pour in a small cup of water and see if it comes out the bottom of the car. If it doesn't the chute at the bottom of the grill is clogged.

The lights flickering and doing wacky things could mean that some of your electronics have gotten wet.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S430, 2014 E350
I would suggest you disconnect the battery for now to prevent further damage to the electronics; find and fix the problem. The car was in limp home mode when it drove on 2nd gear all the way, and limits the rpm. It happens when the computer sees abnormalities in the drivetrain.