S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

MP3 Disc Playback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55
MP3 Disc Playback

I know that US 2004 S and CL nav systems can play MP3 CDs in the front slot. Has anyone tried playing MP3 CDs from the changer? How about playing MP3 DVD-R/+R discs in the front slot? Any input would be appreciated.

Jeff
Old 02-06-2004, 07:45 PM

2004 S55
Well, I guess I answered one of my own questions. I had prepared a CD case with a variety of test discs and I unexpectedly went by the dealership today as they had something I wanted to pickup. Here's what I can confirm:

Front Slot Tests:
CD-Text Support: Yes
CD MP3 playback Support: Yes
DVD Video Playback Support: Partial (audio only - video is not displayed and instead a message letting you know that it is not displayed so that it won't distract the driver)
DVD Audio Playback Support: Doubtful - the system seems to treat it like a regular DVD-V disc which is possible as the only DVD-A discs I had are multi-format (they contain both DVD-A material and DVD-V material with a DD soundtrack specifically so that they can be played back on a DVD player that doesn't support DVD-A)
DTS CD Playback Support: No - These CDs were early versions of mutli-channel audio prior to DVD-A and SACD
24/96 Digital Audio Disc DAD Playback Support: Yes - Another precursor to DVD-A and SACD except that this format was stereo only but had higher than CD resolution
DVD MP3 Playback Support: YES!

This last one surprised me. I say that because while many home DVD players now support MP3 CD playback, they won't support MP3 DVD playback (the only difference being that the MP3 files are on a burned DVD rather than CD because the DVD has many times the storage capacity of a CD). I created the disc using a Mac Powerbook with a SuperDrive and iTunes. I created a test disc with few hundred songs (255 in this case for a total of 971MB) using iTunes' MP3 CD mode (this mode only allows the export of MP# files - no AAC, AA content, etc). The system seemed to identify the disc as an MP3 CD and while it took a little while to read the disc (my guess was that it was loading the song titles into it's display memory), all the songs were accesible and the ones I tested played just fine.

That's good news for MP3 fans as 4.7GB will hold quite a few songs. Additionally, with dual-layer home burners expected later this year, you'll be able to store twice the capacity on a single side of one DVD. At 9.4GB, that would be enough to hold my entire MP3 collection.

Sorry for the geeky details folks, I have a sad life.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:06 PM

2004 CLK 320 Cabriolet
Did you try testing MP3 CD in the cd changer ?

sjclk
Old 02-06-2004, 09:32 PM

2004 S55
Unfortunately, the car in the showroom didn't have a magazine in the changer so I couldn't test that.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:18 PM

2004 CLK 320 Cabriolet
bummer

sjclk
Old 02-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I beleive the CD changer will play CD audio only. No MP3 playback.

CD Text support is doubtful but I would like to know too.