03 S500 Sat for 1 year hard to start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soon to be E55
03 S500 Sat for 1 year hard to start

Hello
My coworker is selling his 2003 S500 with 103K miles. He told me it needs an AC compressor and the brake (or tail lights) which come on their own, and the gas cap is throwing a code or msg even after buying a new one. Those issues I wouldn't mind troubleshooting or shop to repair. When we put in a fully charged battery because his was completely dead the engine would turn over for a few seconds but not start. He tried about 5-7 times pausing for a few minutes halfway to not overheat the starter. What are some possible reasons/solutions for this since we will try later and I will buy if it starts.

Thanks
Old 09-03-2015, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 488 Likes on 432 Posts
Mercedes
Just cranking with no startup is typical symptom of crank position sensor . These are under $20 on eBay and cheap to replace

Check out this video on YouTube:

But If that doesn't fix it and the brake lights are coming on when they aren't supposed to I suspect a much bigger problem - the car is likely water damaged , especially if it has been sitting outside .

Most common is the rear SAM gets flooded but all the wiring under the passenger side carpet from front to rear will likely need replacement . Along with anything else water damaged . Unless you're prepared to tackle this problem avoid the car

Last edited by tusabes; 09-03-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soon to be E55
Okay thanks for the info/video. I thought the engine just needed to prime/pressurize the fuel lines. I didn't know how many attempts to start we should try so we stopped early (approx 5) and decided to put his battery on a charger. I do have a scanner and didn't think of bring it but I will next time. He said the car ran fine until he parked it so originally didn't think it could be a sensor but maybe it failed while the car wasn't driven.

Which brand CPS should I get from Ebay? Is it MB or aftermarket? If I can't start it and see the suspension rise I will pass on it. I do like challenges and projects but nothing too involved.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 488 Likes on 432 Posts
Mercedes
Running fine until parked does indicate water damage if the car was left outside in the rain

If it was garaged then it's not water damaged