S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Summer vent (global sync) reset not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S430

I have a 2002 s430 and I'm trying to get my summer vent feature to work from the key fob. I can close and open all the windows using the Auto Recirc and Charcoal Filter buttons. I searched the forums and found Skylaw's instructions (listed below):

Global Synchronization of auto open/unlock (windows open/close when car is unlocked/locked):

"Global synchronization synchs all of your windows and sunroof so that they all open or close by a single command (pointing the key at the IR receiver in the driver's door handle, and pushing & holding lock or unlock). Place the A/C switch on the A/C control panel in Auto, and the recirc button on. Then press the button between the temp controls and hold it until all of the windows and roof close. This should resynch them. After that, the Smart Key should open or close the windows and sunroof as well as lock or unlock the doors.

Also: Door locks are controlled from the key by radio frequency, and will operate regardless of direction the key is pointed. The auto window/sunroof features are infrared, however, and operate only if the key is pointed at the small square IR receiver in the driver's door handle. The IR range is usually less than the RF range, and can be affected by bright sunlight directly on the door handle."

That didn't work for me. I tried it with the car on, windows and sunroof open. Then I tried it with the car is key position 2(AC and lights working) and that didn't work either. Am I missing something? I even tried both methods with and with out the rear window child locks on/off.

Any other suggestions?
Old 09-14-2015, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Failure of the IR system in the door is one possibility.

Doors and windows closed, key not in the ignition. Point the key at the IR patch on the door handle from 6" away, shading both from sunlight. Press and hold the unlock button on the key, continuing to point the key at the patch.

If no response, repeat at the passenger door.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:10 AM

2002 S430

I'll try it again but why won't the global sync from inside the cabin work? Am I doing something wrong?
Old 09-14-2015, 02:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Skylaw’s procedure states, “Place the A/C switch on the A/C control panel in Auto, and the recirc button on. Then press the button between the temp controls and hold it until all of the windows and roof close.” This does not work for my W220.

If I sit in the driver’s seat, ignition on, all windows and sunroof half open/closed, A/C switches to ‘Auto’, and I press-and-hold the auto-fan button between the two temp adjustment buttons… nothing happens. Except that the A/C fan goes from auto to manual. I think this is what ‘Moose’ is focusing on.

Interestingly, with the ignition off, doors closed and all windows and sunroof half open/closed, if I point the key fob to the driver’s door handle and press-and-hold the lock button, all windows and sunroof close and the doors lock. If I then press-and-hold the key fob’s unlock button, the doors unlock and all windows and the sunroof open and continue to open until I release the key fob button. I can make open halfway or completely, depending on how long I hold the unlock button.

So in my case, the global resynchronization operation did not perform as expected, but the global window/sunroof activation works as expected. My W220 is a ’05. Is it possible the controller firmware was updated within the life of the model to eliminate the need for the global resync? Makes sense. Once each of the windows and sunroof are individually synchronized, the global resynchronization sequence is a duplication of effort since the controller already knows where each window/sunroof limits are. Just a thought based upon my observations a few moments ago.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 09-15-2015, 04:42 PM

2002 S430

I tries the summer vent with the key fob and it worked in the passenger side but not the drivers side. Sounds like the IR sensor may be bad on the drivers side. The only thing different was where I tried it. Originally I was in my garage in a sunny day but yesterday I was in a parking garage. I'll have to see just how sensitive the key fob is to sunlight. Would the bad IR sensor throw a code? My independent mechanic didn't see any codes when he hooked up the STAR.