S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Front wheel hub 2wd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 s430
Front wheel hub 2wd

Trying to remove front wheel hub. New bearing kit was ordered from autohausAZ saturday and aren't here yet, but the wheel bearing let go last night so I wanted to take it apart and see if its still rebuildable or if i need to order an entire assembly asap.

So I've got the "castle" nut off (not sure of what mercedes calls their part. maybe a retainer nut?) and the hub is just wobbly and shakes around freely but will not pull of the spindle. I tried using a 3 arm pulley puller and that basically just ground a small dimple into the spindle

Theres a black metallic something that seems to be the culprit. Not sure if its parts of the old destroyed bearing or something else.

Link to video below

Old 12-30-2015, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 mercedes s430
That round thing that's holding is your inter race of the outter bearing. It will
take heat to remove. Good luck but heat just that ring and it will come off.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
The inner race may be welded to the hub by heat of the failure. If so, this could get messy. That steel is hard. Heating the race is best done quickly with a very small very hot flame from a small tip on a welding torch. You may have to use a Dremel-type high-speed grinder with a small diamond tip to cut the race at one point.

If that dimple distorts the threads, you may need a "thread file" to correct the problem. If you don't know what that is, or how to use one, Google is your friend.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 S63, 2013 SL63
I use a slide hammer.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 s430
Thanks for the replies gentleman..

I used a map-pro gas torch and the pulley puller to remove the hub. But it still left the inner race on. some of the lip broke off which gave the hub enough clearance for removal.

Wally, you were right and you weren't kidding. I used a dremel to cut a line in it and broke 2 chisels trying to get it off. Eventually I got it but theres still a metal "skin" on the spindle. Inside the hub looks like the bearings went molten and fused to the inside of that as well.

I ended up buying a new spindle with the hub assembly still attached from ebay. Once it gets here with the bearings i ordered I'll just rebuild it with the new stuff.

Does anyone know if mercedes green bearing grease is a must for any reason, or can you use any brand high heat bearing grease? Naturally getting to the dealer given where they are from me and with the car on a jack will be a nuisance