S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S350 Gear issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes S350 - Petrol
S350 Gear issue

I purchased a second hand Mercedes S350 2005 Model and has only 38000km and last serviced in 2013, the car was unused it was kept in the parking lot for almost 1 year with no run as the owner had purchased a S500. The vehicle is fully functional, I got the vehicle 2 weeks back and some 3 days back a problem came when I was touring.

1. The gear is automatic transmission and its on C-Comfort and would behave in S-Sport meaning the RPM would be too high, I tried the C/S buttons but sometimes it would click in but in few km it would return back to S-Sport Mode.

2. The gears shift when driving but what I realized that when the car is set on D-Drive and try the +/- as in to manually use the shift it would not shift and just stick to D-Drive.

3. Delay in transmission shift for 1 to 3 seconds before clicking to gear.

4. The worst the transmission would be in Drive Mode and while driving the car would stop moving forward and behave as if it's in Neutral Mode, guess would slip into Neutral, but once I stop the vehicle and move the transmission to P-Parking and then D-Drive it would be back to normal.

5. I borrowed my friends OBD and i get an error message

P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio

----------------------------------
Note : I checked the engine oil it says add 1 liter as i told you that the car was unused.

I called some friend and he told me that maybe there might be low tranny. I tried inserting a small metal pipe in the tranny measuring pipe and pushed it way all in and checked but got no traces of transmission oil (Note: The car was switched off when i checked and engine was cool). I am using the wrong tools and not sure either so maybe I might be messing up.

I am not sure whats wrong please guide me.

Sorry its too long but just kinda little stressed out due to the ill behavior of the car many people have freaked me with issues like it would cost more than $30k. some said that its impossible to repair.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
Take it to a transmission shop for a fluid and filter change

There's also possibility your tcu is wet , check it
Old 12-31-2015, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
To expand a bit on the answers...

The proper fluid level is critical. The only practical way for an owner to check the level is to purchase the proper tool, either from a dealer, from one of the on-line vendors, or from eBay, and then use it correctly. Transmission warm, engine running, in Park. Use the correct MB-approved fluid.

There is an adapter in the back of the transmission that often leaks. The fluid then wicks up the wire harness into the Transmission Control Unit, causing strange behavior. The adapter can be purchased cheaply (less than $20 in the USA), and is relatively easy to change. You can often clean the TCU and restore correct operation.

Go to the top of the opening page of the Forum. Find the "sticky" with the light blue background that includes the words "... start there..." and start there. There is a wealth of info on all facets of the W220 in that thread and others that you can find with an advanced search, also at the top of the page.

Include more info when asking for help, especially including your country, as the equipment varies quite a bit from market to market.