S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2000 s500 sway bar or stabilizer bar noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s500
2000 s500 sway bar or stabilizer bar noise

Hi W220 owners. I have been struggling with a noisy front sway for the last couple months. I have tried tightening down the brackets, adjusting the sway bay links, lubricating the bar, and finally replacing the sway bar with a brand new one. Nothing has worked. Note my sway bar links are fine. I have come to believe that the noise is the result of the bar moving in its brackets everytime you hit a bump, the clanking is the metal bush plate hitting the metal subframe on top or the metal bracket on the bottom.

I have removed the sway bar as least 3 times now to make these fixes and initially, the sound goes away and then returns in full force a couple days later. I researched and found out the w221 owners also have the problem and Mercedes released a bulletin saying to glue the bar to the subframe and brackets with their Mercedes brand epoxy ($75). One owner on their forum said the noise came back after gluing but most say it resolved the issue. My skill level is fairly high since I have replaced most suspension parts myself including both controls arms and ball joints on both sides. Fixing this problem should not be rocket science but it is a pain in the **** to make adjustments because you have to jack the car up high to get under the car and the brackets bolts are tricky to screw in.

I don't like the idea of gluing and am thinking maybe my brackets should be replaced first. Any suggestions out there before I take another stab at this? Does anyone know of any bulletins for the w220 for this problem?
Old 02-04-2017, 08:55 PM

s500
Update: So I reinstalled the stabilizer bar again and finally no noise, I did not have to glue like recommended for w221's. The key is to make sure the bar is installed first (not the sway bar links) and the bushings are properly seated in the brackets. But before installing the bar, make sure the sway bar links are tighted down to the stabilizer bar at 150nm and in the correct position - this is key. You know they are in the right position when you reinstall the sway bar links to the lower rear control arm because you'll need a crow bar to push them down in position. What I was doing wrong was installing the links first and then seating the bar and tightening down in the brackets.

Last edited by ltumacder; 02-05-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:44 AM

2005 S500
Originally Posted by ltumacder
Update: So I reinstalled the stabilizer bar again and finally no noise, I did not have to glue like recommended for w221's. The key is to make sure the bar is installed first (not the sway bar links) and the bushings are properly seated in the brackets. But before installing the bar, make sure the sway bar links are tighted down to the stabilizer bar at 150nm and in the correct position - this is key. You know they are in the right position when you reinstall the sway bar links to the lower rear control arm because you'll need a crow bar to push them down in position. What I was doing wrong was installing the links first and then seating the bar and tightening down in the brackets.
Was your car making these noises over bumps or in turns? Was it both sides? I am trying to diagnose a noise in my 05 s500 when I go over bumps. The ball joints are fine and everything looks to be in order. I have only had the car 2 weeks and I have been gone for work most of that time. I wonder if I am having the same issue as you.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 484 Likes on 428 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by 2sl0w
Was your car making these noises over bumps or in turns? Was it both sides? I am trying to diagnose a noise in my 05 s500 when I go over bumps. The ball joints are fine and everything looks to be in order. I have only had the car 2 weeks and I have been gone for work most of that time. I wonder if I am having the same issue as you.
Creaking noises that sound like an old 1800s stage coach going over bumps at slow speed are bad control arms/ball joints

very very common problem
Old 02-11-2017, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
If the problem is dry ball joints, you can sometimes delay repairs to a more convenient time by using a needle on your grease gun to inject grease thru the rubber boots of the joints. The needles are commonly (and inexpensively) available in most auto parts stores.