S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S55 Navigation System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S55
S55 Navigation System

The S55 is awesome. The only disappointment is the navigation system. I have an Alpine DVD system in my Harley-Davidson F-150 that is light years ahead of the CD based unit in the S55. I had it professionally installed aftermarket. Does anyone have any experience upgrading to a DVD system? I understand the 2003 may have the DVD system. The MB CD system requires several disks, does not give the detail, and does not cover areas outside of metropolitan areas as efficently. As many of you are aware, with the DVD system, one disk covers the whole country. DVD is also faster. How bout it, anybody have suggestions on practicality of upgrading to DVD without botching the great looks of the forward cabin?
Old 04-08-2002, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Sure you can upgrade, if you want to throw a gazillon bucks into converting it. Otherwise, it can not be done.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:20 PM

US Navigation

Why not fit a European navigation system built by Bosch/Bekker/Blankput....... and use Tele Atlas navigation discs for US mapping.

The new European Version 2.5/3.0 unit has DVD, TV, CD, MD, FM/AM, GSM and more.

You get a poor second in the US...
Old 05-02-2002, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: US Navigation

Originally posted by Londonboy
Why not fit a European navigation system built by Bosch/Bekker/Blankput....... and use Tele Atlas navigation discs for US mapping.

The new European Version 2.5/3.0 unit has DVD, TV, CD, MD, FM/AM, GSM and more.

You get a poor second in the US...
I have a hard time beliving the MiniDisc format will be supported by a company that has a hard time including a CD changer in a $90,000 car.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:56 AM

TV in USA

I can well believe you...

I even understand you don't get a TV option in some of your US Comand systems.....

and even some of your US rear high intensity light switches don't do anything... because the bulbs are missing in the rear lamp clusters...

I think even your AM radio frequencies are split by different groups..... and you don't have TMC (traffic flow information over navigation), and your mobile phones don't work everyehere...

neither does your GPS tracking car security systems...

and you don't use text messaging over GPS....

Anyway, we now have as many UK TV stations as you have in the US, and quite honestly it wasn't worth the wait.....
Old 05-21-2002, 03:13 PM

cd changer?!?!?! **** mercedes has a problem with integrating a cd player let alone a cd changer...

but we do get all the other crazy perks!!!

yeah audio wasn't exactly on mercedes benz mind when they build their cars
Old 05-21-2002, 04:22 PM

DVD

I am having a DVD fitted to my (European) ML in July.

The input wil be selectable on Comand 2.0 through one of the AV functions on the TV tuner options...

Whoops sorry you don't get TV and the DVD option in the US...

Do you get the 300 watt Bose audio with 9 speakers in your Mercedes...

We get some crazy perks as well, like 4 years parts and labour warranty, and a 30 years breakdown and recovery service, complete with loan cars etc.. do you get those in the US

Last edited by Londonboy; 05-21-2002 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
yes, we get the Bose in MBs - some are better than others - for instance, many people don't like the Bose option in the C class.

We also have the 4 year parts and labor warranty, and it covers maintenance as well.

Our breakdown service uses the catch phrase "for as long as you own a Mercedes - any Mercedes" but I don't see that as much different from "30 years"

But - most MB options are in "packages" - you have to buy the package, not just the options you want. For instance - want 17" wheels on your C? Get the C7 package and get a lot of other things, as well.

From what I understand, Canada does not get the "free maintenance" part of the warranty. Many items that are included in the base price in the U.S. (like car alarms) are options in Canada, as well. Maybe they don't need car alarms like we do !)