S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

FYI: Child safety window lockout also disables rear door lighter sockets.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 S500 4Matic
FYI: Child safety window lockout also disables rear door lighter sockets.

Just something I worked out this weekend that I could not find prominently mentioned in dead-lighter-socket threads: The child safety window-lockout switch (the slide switch on the driver's door that you use to prevent your kids from playing with the windows) also disables the rear door lighter sockets.

My kids have chargers in each door for their Nintendo DS handheld games, and I was a bit mystified when my youngest told me his charger stopped working. It worked in the dasboard ashtray lighter socket, and fuses F72 and F74 checked out good in the rear seat fusebox. After lots of internet searching I found an obscure mention that the window lockout disables the rear door lighters, and verified that was the problem today on my 2005 S500.

My son had a birthday party a week ago that we took the kids to a movie, and when they were playing with the windows on the way to the theater, I set the window lockout switch.

Just hoping that making this info more prominently available can help someone in the future!