S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

how to remove passenger side panel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes Benz S430 4Matic
Cool how to remove passenger side panel

Hello, I wrote about replacing the blower for my heating/AC, and finally received the replacement part, but now all the videos that show how to do it (and make it seem so easy) do NOT show how to actually start, only the supposedly hard part (the actual blower job, which now I know by heart).

But I tried a few times to get the panel off and while there are a couple screws, nothing moves.

I'm of course talking about the whole panel underneath the glove compartment which houses the blower assembly, I need to take that off before I can get to the blower, other than that I'm ready, I have all the proper tools and the part, if anyone has a video or maybe step by step (are there any pins, or what is it that is holding that thing there so tight?).

Thank you in advance!
Old 05-26-2017, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes Benz S430 4Matic
Before I even begin with the job though, I haven't even checked the fuse like many suggested. I believe I found the right one, it's a big 40A orange/amber one in the passenger side engine compartment F33, but it seems ok, at least from outside, and it's hard to take out. Is there a special way to take the fuse out or not?
Old 05-27-2017, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 351 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
It just pulls out. Wriggling a bit usually helps.

You can test the fuse without removing it. Use a multimeter or test light between a good ground and each of the tiny metal bits in the face (where it says "40"). Power to both shows that the fuse is good; power to only one shows that the fuse is blown; power to neither shows that either you are doing the test improperly or you have a problem with the power feed to the fuse.

I have done the same job, and don't remember any particular problem with pulling the panel. You might have to slide the panel forward and pull the back edge down, or vice versa.

Once you get into the area, test for power on the heavy wire going into the regulator, and from the regulator to the blower. Of course, ignition on, HVAC on, blower on. Power to the regulator shows that the circuit and fuse are good, power to the blower shows that the blower is bad.