S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

Minor Problems - I : TeleAid/SOS malfunction warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 09:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
190E, C280, S55
Minor Problems - I : TeleAid/SOS malfunction warning

I have 2006 S55. A couple of months back I suddenly started getting "TeleAid/SOS Malfunction" error message on the center console. It is persistent and comes up every time I start the car. I asked my mechanic to clear it or disable the TeleAid/SOS message. He said only a dealer can do it since they have the proper equipment.

If there a way to disable the TeleAid/SOS system? Or clear the error. Ofcourse I don't use TeleAid or Phone.

There was no SRS warning when the TeleAid/SOS malfunction started appearing. Recently my battery died and I started getting SRS warning when I tried to recharge/jump the battery. I now have new battery. I am not sure if these are related because I used to get SRS error (without TeleAid/SOS message) last year. The diagnosis indicated passenger side squib was defective. Then I hit a pothole and the SRS message went away (loose connection under the seat?)

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
190E, C280, S55
After reading some more, it appears that this problem has bed deviled many people. Reading all the threads it is still unclear to me whether adealer or an indy shop can disable the teleaid using SDS menu (is that star diagnostics system?) or removing/bypassing teleaid module from the MOST ring is possible. Also read about corrosion on the antenna splitter due to water causing the this warning to come up (but didn't find anyone thread with W220 attempting this).

A related question is would teleaid be cause of audio gateway (AGW) failing to sleep. Recently my AGW is keeping the navigation unit on and making the battery drain. My understanding is that the teleaid module is on the same ring as the navigation unit. I tried disconnecting the navigation but that results in no radio/audio being available when driving. Only way to stop the current drain is removing the audio gateway fuse. Removing that particular fuse stops the battery drain (rest current draw after 30 minutes is below 30 milliamps range). I believe that shuts off the power to the AGW and therefore prevents anything connected to it from powering up.