S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

S600 Tranny fluid issue, no gear engagement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S600
S600 Tranny fluid issue, no gear engagement

Hey guys, I was getting 0730 and related codes on my 04 S600 with 66k so I changed the transmission conductor plate and the electric plug that goes on the outside as well as the ATF, and now those codes are cleared and haven't been back.

When I start the car though, There is no power transferred to the wheels and I do not feel any gear engaging, it seems to just stay in park although the shift lever itself moves without issue.

I decided to see if i improperly installed the valve body and when I removed the tranny drain plug, no ATF came out at all. It did't make any sense to me as my dipstick tells me the level was within the 25 degree mark and also when i had the car running within the 80 degree mark. As far as i know, there aren't any leaks.

I have no idea whether the previous owner even had the right amount of fluid in the car to begin with, and i can't test that since the torque converter doesnt have a drain plug. i saw 3 quarts come out so i put 3 back in.

My hypothesis is that there wasn't enough fluid in the first place, the torque converter sucked up most of the ATF leaving very little in the drain pan, and I might actually be a few quarts shy. I'm worried about overfilling and potentially damaging the system since the dipstick already tells me i'm fine.

what do you guys think? I'd be grateful for any advice
Old 07-23-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S600
Well after dropping the valve body again it appears the yellow plastic selector valve was broken through preventing gear shifts. Hope this helps anyone else who has this problem.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 404 Likes on 348 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Thanks for the report.

BTW - Transmission fluid level is always checked with the engine running, transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL. The two level markings on the dipstick tool are for cold temp (ambient temp) and operating temp.