S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

(NOT) speed-sensitive stereo volume ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W126 1991 350SDL
(NOT) speed-sensitive stereo volume ???

i despise my stereo volume changing on me. very annoying.

i've been doing some more poking on this.

someone here posted that it was an option that the dealer could set. i talked to a tech at my dealer and they said that this USED TO BE the case. however, his belief is that with MY 2003 and on, it's NOT settable or configurable in any way.

what it purportedly is now is based on a microphone located somewhere in the overhead console. it monitors the "noise" there and adjusts the volume accordingly. his advice was to pull the microphone and slap a resistor across the wires (you can't leave it disconnected or it'll do random weird things i was told) and it'll always read "no noise to ajudst for" to the controller.

this is REALLY STUPID. "twice too cute" as the brits say. very frustrating.

can anyone confirm that this is in fact the case? the tech wasn't 100% - he said that's how the ML's do it now. he was like 95% sure.

annoyed,
doody.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
..........As far as I know, the speed sensitive volume change can be dissabled via star program even in 03 model cars. If you live in the USA, then your experience with the tech is standard. They know very little about the cars they service. They simply plug the car to the computer and they get an error code and replace whatever module has the error code. Anything that dioes not involve an error code is up to you to figure out and then take it back to them and pray that whoever you talk to that day will listen. Tell your tech to plug your car to the star program anyway and pretend it is an 02 model and see if he can't dissable the speed sensitive volume change.

Ted