S-Class (W220) 1999-2006: S 320 CDI, S 320, S430, S 500, S 600

2006 S430 AC Compressor Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes S430
2006 S430 AC Compressor Replacement

Hello, my 2006 S430 AC compressor just froze, clutch locked up that broke the serpentine belt. I need to do the AC compressor replacement but I could not find any thread or DIY to remove and install the ac compressor. I was told the clutch might be the only change but I think replacing the whole compressor is better for 11 yr car. Please help.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:57 PM

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts
001 s600, 94 sl600
It is not quite that simple or easy. First--why did the compressor lock-up? Why did the clutch also lock up. One should replace the old, heated up locked clutch and compressor, belt, and idler pulley AND filter/dryer. The entire system must also be thoroughly flushed with solvent to remove ALL the debris from compressor failure, Depending on the amount and type of debris from the compressor failure, it may be necessary to disassemble all the hoses, valves, evaporators and condenser to thoroughly flush them. Then ALL the 'O-rings' should be replaced, including the service valve cores. .Then the right amount of the correct refrigerant oil must be added to replace the oil flushed out, plus the correct amount for the new compressor and filter dryer. Then the entire system MUST be vacuumed out down to 25 micron total pressure (99.99% total vacuum)and hold that pressure for at least 30 min to remove ALL traces of air and moisture and prove no leaks Then recharge system with correct amount and type of refrigerant. I believe R-134 is what that year requires.The service gauges must have hoses and connectors specific for R-134. You must us a refrigerant vacuum pump that WILL pump the system down to that low vacuum--requiring a 2 stage pump. You must have an EPA issued certification to perform the work as the refrigerant in the system must be 'recovered' and not simply vented into the air.

As you can understand, it is NOT a trivial undertaking and requires the proper equipment and training to do it correctly and legally. A simple swap out the obvious parts will not work or last for more than a few minutes of operation. PROPERLY done the system should last a very very long time-decades perhaps with no leakage of refrigerant.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 350 Posts
2003 S500 2007 GL450
Unless the 2006 differs from the other W220 cars, there is no AC clutch. The compressor pulley has rubber connectors to the compressor shaft, and if the engine crankshaft is turning the compressor shaft is turning. Whether it pumps refrigerant or not is determined by how much the AC control system tilts the swash plate inside the compressor.
If the compressor locks up, the rubber cushions should immediately shear, releasing the compressor shaft from the pulley, which continues to turn on its support bearing.
If the compressor pulley bearing seizes up, it will shred the serpentine belt. That does not mean that the compressor has seized, nor that it needs replacing. While I have not done this job, I think that the compressor pulley and its bearing should be replaceable without dumping the refrigerant.

Time for you to do some serious research...
Old 06-11-2020, 07:23 PM

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts
001 s600, 94 sl600
Talking Thankful for more learned posters.

Originally Posted by wallyp
Unless the 2006 differs from the other W220 cars, there is no AC clutch. The compressor pulley has rubber connectors to the compressor shaft, and if the engine crankshaft is turning the compressor shaft is turning. Whether it pumps refrigerant or not is determined by how much the AC control system tilts the swash plate inside the compressor.
If the compressor locks up, the rubber cushions should immediately shear, releasing the compressor shaft from the pulley, which continues to turn on its support bearing.
If the compressor pulley bearing seizes up, it will shred the serpentine belt. That does not mean that the compressor has seized, nor that it needs replacing. While I have not done this job, I think that the compressor pulley and its bearing should be replaceable without dumping the refrigerant.

Time for you to do some serious research...
Thankful for those who REALLY KNOW all the details about these fantastic cars and helpfully trash those of us who TRY our best to help pure novices not get into trouble. Sometimes things go awry and even 'the factory' cannot diagnose and fix an electronic gremlin. Maybe, just maybe one day one of them will develop a REAL FIX for the ignition coil 'false misfire' that can take $4000 a side to fix.